Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1989 Ford F-150 1/2 ton pick-up that dh uses for his work commute and general hauling (we're rural).

We'd like to use our new canoe this year. Dh has a frame for it on the truck.

Problem: 2 adults (dh 6'5" and me 5'2") + 1 tall 10 year old + stick shift.

Dh always drives the truck (I have problems operating the stick shift in his truck). This leaves ds and I as the passengers.

If we put ds in the outboard position (with the shoulder belt), that leaves me in the middle with a stick shift between my legs or, my body at an angle to avoid the stick, and no shoulder belt. In either position, I have dh's elbow jabbing my front or his hand hitting my thigh. We have done this just a couple of times and it is, quite literally, painful for me!

If we put me in the outboard and ds in the middle, it would be more comfortable for me, but I worry about the safety issue of ds with no shoulder belt.

Dh thinks it would be okay with ds in the middle, but I am not comfortable with that situation.

Wouldn't it be safer for us to take two vehicles (ds and I in one car, dh in his truck), rather than the above scenario? I realize it isn't very eco-friendly, but I don't see an alternative.

Dh suggested I ask here, so I am!!

Thanks, in advance, for any and all replies!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
It would definitely be safer to take two vehicles. Lap only belts aren't safe for anyone, and shouldn't be used unless there is no other alternative. Plus in a vehicle that age, there probably isn't head support for the middle seat, which would mean wicked whiplash into glass....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.