Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone already told their LOs about the new baby? We told my daughter and most of the time she doesn't mention it, but occasionally she'll touch my stomach and ask if I'm growing her baby. We've ordered her the Big Sister's Guide to Waiting and also bought her I'm a Big Sister. She picked the I'm a Big Sister book to read for bedtime tonight and again, reached back and touched my stomach and requested, "you're growing me a baby, please?" and when I said yes she thanked me. So sweet! Hopefully she continues to be enthusiastic. She has also occasionally started talking about mostly her little brother, but sometimes she says little sister.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have quietly mentioned to DS as we are getting ready for bed because I will wean him before the next one comes and he needs to start to know why. He is 25m and doesn't really get it, I'm sure. I have not told DD (4yo) because she would love to share and I don't need word out yet (I work at their school). We are starting to talk in big generalities, "Should we have another baby at our house? Remember when Ez was a baby....."

These were the best 'big sibling' books when DS came along (DD was almost 2)

And we had these 2 years ago, but I think they will be better received now

·
Registered
202 Posts
We have told our 3.5 yo daughter. She does tell people we see, but so far only friends (not random store clerks etc.) I'm 9 weeks and ok with her letting friends and family know (if not there would be no stopping her.) But actually she seems to forget it's happening a lot. She won't mention it for days at a time. She is very excited about it. It just seems like an eternity away, so it's still kind of abstract to her.

·
Registered
315 Posts
We told ours, 3.5 and 1.5 years old. My older son told my dad, who of course told everyone. It was actually kind of a fun way to break the news to the family. I like giving them a nice long time to adjust to the idea, and my older son is very sweet about it. We read Dr. Sear's Baby on the Way last time, and he's already gotten it off the shelf this time. He's very sweet; whenever I say my tummy feels yucky, he says, "Do you need some fizzy water and crackers?" which is out of that book. Or if he sees me with my feet up, he asks me if my feet hurt and if he should set the table for dinner which is also in the book. When I was in labor with his little brother, he would hear me making funny noises and tell me "Deep Breaths!"

The little one doesn't quite know what's going on, but likes to put his hand on my belly which is what he sees my husband and older son do.

Anka

·
Registered
145 Posts
We told our almost 2 year old wild child just to explain why he can't jump on my stomach every time I'm laying down and bounce on me. Mostly he's not old enough to really get it. Every now and again he'll pet my stomach and say, "gentle" which is what we try to get him to do with the poor cat that he attacks daily. This is always after he has elbowed, kicked or otherwise smashed into me! He's not ever trying to be mean, he's just extremely active and physical. This new baby better be able to hold its own or it's going to get loved to death!

·
Registered
603 Posts
We haven't told our 3 (almost 4) year old yet. I think I will wait until after the first ultrasound. Maybe I will wait until I tell pretty much everyone (planning to do this after the first trimester). I just want to make sure everything is going well before I start getting him excited about it. One good thing is that this school year his teacher was pregnant, so he became very familiar with the concept. She was out on maternity leave for a couple of months and now she's back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts