Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son (3.25 yrs) is weaning, largely by himself though with some encouragement from me. I've been mostly ready to wean him for some time now, but he has not been interested. After almost 18 months of tandem nursing I'm ready to be done. But also finding that I'm not ready--it's a huge rite of passage for both of us, me letting go of nursing my first born, and he letting go of that as well. It's been interesting to see how sad I get about it, now that he is moving through this transition. Also interesting to see how we are trying to make this lovingly happen.

The other night before we went to sleep, he asked me to tell him a story about "when he used to nurse." (it had only been about a week or so since he nursed, and he nursed 2-3 x a day.) it choked me up but I did tell him a story. I thought wow, he's really done with it. The very next day he hurt himself while walking around inside the minivan, and asked to nurse, and we did--in the back of the minivan at the gas station listening to a beautiful Alison Krauss song. After we were done he said, "You always make me so happy." It put me in tears, such a sweet & tender moment, knowing that we were on the verge of being done with a very special time in both our lives.

It's a wonderful thing to be sad, in a way, knowing that the reason I'm sad is I've been given this profound gift--a positive and healthy and long-lasting nursing relationship. How much worse it would be if I felt sad for the rest of my life because that _didn't_ happen.

I would love to hear others' stories about their older kids weaning and how they adjusted to it. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I don't have any stories for you (ds is only 22 months) but wanted to say your story brought tears to my eyes.

What an awesome mama!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts