Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from the Ohio LLL conference and learned some interesting things about Omega 3's. I can't stand fish, and the lecturer said you can't get everything from flax seed, so I just bought an Omega 3-6-9 supplement. Just wondering if anyone else out there supplements with these, and what they think abouthe the 3-6-9 vs. just the Omega 3 alone....

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I have researched this and I get my omegas from flax meal and walnuts and I do not take supplements. I have read most people only need 1T flax per day to meet requirements...it's probably a lot cheaper than supplements. Eating a varied whole foods diet you should get all you need too.Good health! Jennifer

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I guess what I've learned is that you get stuff from fish oil that you don't get from flax. My trainer/nutrionist always recommends fish oil.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
CLO is abetter choice for many reasons that fish oil. I really feel that you don't need the 3-6-9. I think that it's potentially harmful It's the omega 3 that most people are deficient in. They need to be in balance so if you are already getting excessive amounts of omega 6's supplementing with them defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sooo...if one took a multimvitamin would that be excessive of A and D? One website said that CLO was natural so you couldn't overdose on them, and that D neutrilized the toxiicity of too much A. But I don't know. I just started taking fish oil omega 3s with my multi. I'd hate to take too much of something in my ignorant zeal to supplement.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Hard to say...I don't recommend a multi because I don't believe in synthetic sources. CLO is a natural source. Most multis have A as beta carotene though-check your label. Still not optimal but better than synthetic A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts