Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some people mentioning omegas in the SID thread and I had been thinking of posting about this anyway and the time seemed perfect.

My daughter has apraxia and some sensory issues although I don't think it's enough to merit an SID diagnosis. We have found some good tricks sensory-wise that really work for her.

Anyway we started her on the Nordic Naturals ProEPA (NN Complete 3-6-9 is the same thing) a month ago. Many of the apraxia websites really recommend them. They like particular brands because there seems to be something about the ratio of EPA to DHA in the supplements and the NN and a couple of other brands seem to work the best. We give her the liquid from one capsule every day now. I was very skeptical, but figured it couldn't hurt.

OK it may very well all be coincidental, but here's what has happened. This last week we have heard my daughter say at least 20 new words. She has not had 1 new word in at least a year and a half. It is a dramatic shift in her expressive abilities and I can't say she was misdiagnosed with apraxia. It's still very evident and she is still going to have a long road with speech therapy, but this jump is amazing. In addition I've seen big jumps in her gross motor skills and self-helf skills. She has slowly been learning to climb new things, but the other day she climbed something that absolutely floored me. She has begun really helping to take off her clothes and can nearly do both pants and shirt herself. I haven't really noticed any changes sensory-wise, but as I said I think her issues are more mild than for many children. I do think she's become more brave at trying things though. The biggest difference is her language - I am absolutely amazed at all of the words we are hearing from her this week.

I highly recommend trying these supplements. The low dose is definitely safe to take. Some people give their kids a much higher dose and there is the possibility of some side effects there, but I feel very comfortable with the low dose we are giving. I had been giving her flax oil every day (still do actually for constipation issues), but it only has the short-chain omega 3s and the long chain omega 3s (DHA and EPA) seem to be the real keys here.

As I said I have no proof at all that these changes are due to the supplements and definitely could just be a coincidence, but I find it hard to believe I would see this many big changes all at the same time just by accident.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Do you buy your NN online? I can't find it locally and have been buying a different brand, but have been wanting to switch to NN. Do you have an online source, and if so, would you link to it?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
Do you buy your NN online? I can't find it locally and have been buying a different brand, but have been wanting to switch to NN. Do you have an online source, and if so, would you link to it?
Vitamin Shoppe is a good source, although they don't have this exact product. They have "complete omega" which is the same quanitities of DHA and EPA, but it doesn't have the omega 6 or 9s in it. I don't know how much of a difference that would make as the DHA and EPA are the main ones talked about, but I have seen some discussions of the 6s also seeming to be important.

I just ordered straight from Nordic Naturals although I know now that I can buy the "complete omega 3-6-9" from my local co-op as well. Here is the link for nordic naturals:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/direct/Retailproducts.asp

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Does the 3-6-9 contain the same stuff as the Cod Liver Oil has, plus some? Sorry. I am giving ds cod liver oil at the moment, but really have no idea about this stuff.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
very interesting! my dd is too young to be diagnosed but I suspect apraxia for a multitude of reasons. though I'm certainly not qualified.

but, if these supplements won't hurt her, I'd like to try them- do you know if it's safe for a 12 month old? or is there something I can add to her diet that would be similar?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Does the 3-6-9 contain the same stuff as the Cod Liver Oil has, plus some? Sorry. I am giving ds cod liver oil at the moment, but really have no idea about this stuff.
Yes, it contains the DHA and EPA, but the cod liver oil has more DHA than EPA and the anecdotal evidence suggests that you need more EPA than DHA. The 3-6-9 has more EPA than DHA. Also, the cod liver oil has more vitamin A and you just have to be careful with how much vitamin A you give your kids

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Is this the right stuff? https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mary.asp?ID=54

Does it matter whether it is in capsule or in liquid form?

Or what about this? https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mary.asp?ID=34 This comes with additional, "other Omega-3s." What would a child-size dose be with that? 1/5 tsp?? Or can you not do that? Does it have to be designated for kids?
I think either of those are probably fine. I use this one:

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mmary.asp?ID=9

which is not a junior or kids formula. I only give one capsule's worth, but I know online I've discussed with several parents who give their 3 or 4 year old 5 or 6 capsules a day. I've read that 3 capsules is the equivalent of what you would get from a piece of fish.

I'm not sure what the child's dose of the liquid would be, but people seem to have good results from emailing nordic naturals and asking them questions so I bet they could tell you.

I don't think liquid versus capsules matters. I get the capsules because that's the formula that was most highly recommended to me. I poke a hole in it with a knife and put the liquid on a spoon to give to Charlotte. She takes it pretty well. Parents have said the NN is the least fishy smelling and tasting brand also so they have the least problems with their kids taking it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bri276
very interesting! my dd is too young to be diagnosed but I suspect apraxia for a multitude of reasons. though I'm certainly not qualified.

but, if these supplements won't hurt her, I'd like to try them- do you know if it's safe for a 12 month old? or is there something I can add to her diet that would be similar?
DHA and EPA are what they are nowing adding to some formulas in an attempt to make them more breastmilk-like. LOL So the general consensus is that the supplements would be safe, but I would suggest asking your doctor before doing it at that age just to be safe. You would need to be careful of the vitamin A in the supplements and that is one nice thing about the complete 3-6-9 - there is no vitamin A so you don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wow! That's terrific!

I give my 38 mo ds 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3 6 9 and one Nordic Naturals EPA a day. In the last 3 weeks he has started making 2 and 3 and 4 word approximations like "No ah oo" for "No thank you" and "No oo ah baba" for "No you're a baby"! (I buy mine at Whole Foods)

Also I've started 1 Carn-Aware capsule a day but some on the Apraxia Yahoo Health group I subscribe to say it didn't make any change for their child (http://www.carn-aware.com).

"The LCP Solution" book as well as "The Late Talker" book both address these supplements.

My son was diagnosed with apraxia and dysarthria. He also has other birth defects which may not be related.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender
Wow! That's terrific!

I give my 38 mo ds 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3 6 9 and one Nordic Naturals EPA a day. In the last 3 weeks he has started making 2 and 3 and 4 word approximations like "No ah oo" for "No thank you" and "No oo ah baba" for "No you're a baby"! (I buy mine at Whole Foods)

Also I've started 1 Carn-Aware capsule a day but some on the Apraxia Yahoo Health group I subscribe to say it didn't make any change for their child (http://www.carn-aware.com).

"The LCP Solution" book as well as "The Late Talker" book both address these supplements.

My son was diagnosed with apraxia and dysarthria. He also has other birth defects which may not be related.
That's great to hear! I think I'm going to just stay with 1 capsule for a few months and then maybe add another one. At that point I may add the separate EPA as well. I've read some of the stuff with Carn-Aware, but haven't gotten to the point of even thinking of adding it right now. I'm still such a newbie to this whole thing, but I just had to post about what we're seeing. It's just so amazing to me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
glad to hear it is working so well for you, chann96.

just fyi for anyone looking into different brands of omega's, our family dr who is also a nutritionist recommended Coromega brand fish oil. Its pharmaceutical grade which is supposed to mean free of impurities. He also said that the form it comes in keeps it in a highly bioavailable form. He said capsulization and liquids often have lost some of their value biochemically. Anyway, we've had good luck with it, its an orange flavored gel that we use.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity

just fyi for anyone looking into different brands of omega's, our family dr who is also a nutritionist recommended Coromega brand fish oil. Its pharmaceutical grade which is supposed to mean free of impurities. He also said that the form it comes in keeps it in a highly bioavailable form. He said capsulization and liquids often have lost some of their value biochemically. Anyway, we've had good luck with it, its an orange flavored gel that we use.
I had to go google coromega to figure out another way to take it outside of capsules and liquids. Yeah, Coromega is another brand that I see recommended a lot. I just wanted to add that the NN is also pharmaceutical grade. I didn't know Coromega was also in Norway, but it looks like both companies follow the European standards which are pretty strict as far as imputities. There are no standards for U.S. supplements unless they are self-imposed by the company.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
This is all so helpful. So keep talking me through this, if you wouldn't mind...

This is all ds takes currently. 1/2 tsp daily of "ChildLife" Cod Liver Oil, the ingrediants for which are Purified Arctic Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol), and "all natural" strawberry flavor. A full teaspoon would contain:

DHA 700 mg
EPA 450 mg
Other Omega-3 250 mg
Vitamin A 870-1950 I.U.
Vitamin D 0-40 I.U.
Vitamin E 8 I.U.

This is the stuff I can buy most easily locally. So other than needing more EPA, how is that in the meantime until I get some NN? Also, has this stuff been studied with kids, in terms of safety? Other than the vit A, is there other stuff I need to worry about with giving them too much? I sometimes get worried about how we tend to overdue things in our society, and how fads get carried away.

AuntLavendar,

Quote:
I give my 38 mo ds 2 Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3 6 9 and one Nordic Naturals EPA a day.
So you give him this twice daily: https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mmary.asp?ID=9 (not the junior stuff)

and this once daily: https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mary.asp?ID=14

and did you (or would you) do the same at 15 or 16 months old?

Also, does anyone have any other information about carn-aware that is from an independent source?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quote:

AuntLavendar,

So you give him this twice daily: https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mmary.asp?ID=9 (not the junior stuff)

and this once daily: https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mary.asp?ID=14

and did you (or would you) do the same at 15 or 16 months old?

Also, does anyone have any other information about carn-aware that is from an independent source?
My 38 mo ds who is 30.5 lbs gets 3 capsules once a day (2 Complete Omega 369's and 1 EPA). Other people on my Yahoo Health Group give it (2 Complete Omega 369's plus 1 EPA) 2-3 times day. So far the only side effect I have read reported was loose stools and it may have been coincidental. (The juniors are just half a capsule in terms of amount so why pay the same price for half the oil?)

My pediatrician mentioned Carn-aware and others on my Yahoo group but I haven't read about it anywhere else.

*The Nordic Naturals Pro EFA is the same as the Nordic Naturals Complete Omega 3 6 9 - apparently it depends on where you buy it as to what the label says!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sierra - Until you can get your hands on the NN (or Coromega) stuff I think that any of the long-chain FAs that you can use are a great start.

AuntLavender - Yes the ProEPA and Complete Omega 369 are the exact same thing. The Complete Omega 369 is the retail line and what people are most likely to find in a store. It's all a moot point though as they are phasing out the ProEPA as far as I know and will only have the Complete Omega 369 in the future.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Thanks folks for all the help. Tonight I am logging offline from discussion boards for the month of August, but I am saving this thread in a Word doc so I can make some decisions and purchase some NN in the next week or two.

Thanks again,
Sierra

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi,

Thought I'd jump in...I didn't read all the posts but I thought I'd add hemp oil to the list of essential fatty acids. This is one of the more balanced plant sources of EFA's and can be easier on the stomach than flax. I used to put this in my son's babyfood and it did wonders for his eczema. You can also get hemp plus waffles made by lifestream...they are a relatively good alternative for those who have problems w/capsules etc. Wish I could get some of those EFA's into my son now...**sigh**

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
My 2yr old son was diagnosed with mild hearing loss in January (nerve conduction problems), additionally I really suspect some apraxia. He has a strong gag reflex and won't take any fishoil suplement. (it only works if you can get it down!)
I began making all our own bread, organic WW with about 1/4 c ground flax seed per loaf , also we began buying the high omega 3 eggs (vegitarian fed birds who also consume flax as a part of their diet) Within a month of these dietary changes his hearing and speech improved dramaticly. This may be coincidence, but I won't be changing our diet back any time soon. I think we will still need speech therapy at some point, but for now he seems happy with his ability.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts