Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning, I was taking the kids to school. We have to get on 95 and go through the Harbour Tunnel, which goes under the Baltimore Harbour. Well, I have to slam on the brakes at one point. When I did that Eli's car seat comes flying foward and hints the back of my seat!

I start freaking out, because we are in a rental, and I could not figure out what happened. Did the seat break? What is going on? Plus, I am in a tunnel, and can't stop or pull over. I finally get out of the tunnel, and pull over. Turns out Eli had unclipped the seatbelt:fight so the seat was just floating on the seat attached to nothing. The rental does not have the latch system. I got it all squared away and went on to school.

After I dropped them off, I went in the bathroom and broke down. All the what-if's were rolling through my mind. The teachers were so cool, and hugged me gave me a drink and a chair. Then one of the guys went and double checked the car seat.

I need a drink.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Awww...big hugs! I'm glad everyone is ok!

·
Registered
683 Posts
That must have been the longest ride for you, waiting to get out of that tunnel to get your DS's seat buckled back in place. Glad everything worked out fine for you all!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I am so glad everyone is ok! That must have been absolutely terrifying.
We had a car seat scare about a month ago. DD climbed into her seat and DH came around the car to give me a hand. Then he got into the car forgetting to buckle the car seat. As we were pulling on to the highway a block from my house DD starts to yell, "No mama! No mama! The highway isn't safe!" I ask why not and she tells me she is not wearing her seat belt! I check the mirror and sure enough...At that moment a truck cuts in front of me and I thought it was all over. Needless to say We all double check the car seat belts now.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That is SO scary! I can't imagine what went through your mind when that car seat hit your seat!

We were all out this past Sunday and pulled over in a parking lot on the way home. Ds 2 needed to use the little potty we keep in the car. Dh took ds's sunsuit off, and decided not to put it back on, apparently because we were so close to home.

Well, about a minute after we started up, I looked in the back seat to tell ds not to mess with ds 1 and here's the image I am confronted with: ds 2 lounging in his car seat in a pull-up and sandals, not buckled in. Oh, no, we're not trashy!

So I'm telling him to stop what he's doing and get his arms in the straps as dh looks for a place to pull over. Ds decides to throw a tantrum and slides to the floor, screaming. So dh pulls off the road *on a curve* and pregnant Tracy runs around the van into oncoming traffic to get to ds's door to strap his nekkid self in. Whew. The whole time I'm imagining how it will look to paramedics that my baby was not only not strapped in, but not dressed. (I know, not actually any big deal, but you know how the mind goes...)

Anyway! So glad that nothing happened and you are all okay!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Omigoodness, that would put your heart in your throat! I'm glad to hear she's okay and that you had some good support at the school!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.