Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nipples want to fall off, I swear.
My 18 month old nursed all. day. long. He was really clingy all day. Was in a bad mood. And everytime I sat down, he was in my lap, lifting my shirt. And when he'd nurse, he'd nurse for 30 minutes. Latch on. Latch off. Latch on. Latch off. And towards the end of the night, I tried to tell him, "Not right now, mama's nurse-nurses hurt" and he FLIPPED OUT! I was telling him the sign for "hurt" earlier today. I pointed to his boo-boo on his foot (he stubbed his toe last week) and did the sign and told him "boo-boos hurt". He did the sign and seemd to grasp the concept. Then I told him "nurse-nurse hurt" and I did the sign. He looked at his foot, looked at me, and started screaming and clawing at me! So I let him nurse.
:

And I was having a rough day anyways. DH is due home any minute (he works a late shift) and the house is a wreck, dinner isn't done, I haven't had a shower, and DS is sleeping (finally) butt-naked on DH's side of the bed. Part of me says, "Tough it out. Get up, clean, and get some dinner together" and part of me says "Screw it, go to bed because you're exhausted and DH is a big boy, he can fend for himself."

We left him yesterday with my mom for a few hours so we could have a very-much-needed-and-deserved date. We haven't left him since he was 4 months old and that was a disaster since he wouldn't take a bottle. But he did great. My mom said he didn't even cry. When we got home, he nursed and went to bed. Could he possibly be having an attachment issue from that? He seemed to do great, but then he's all clingy today?

Ugh. I just needed to vent. I would never even consider weaning at this point, but I just need to get away. I don't think I want to be a sahm anymore. I can finally leave him for 4 hours at a time and now I want to be able to go to work and just nurse him at lunch and when I'm at home. Is this a temporary feeling? Does every mother of a nursing toddler go through this at some point?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
We've all had such days. Is he nursing less today? Make sure DH or someone gives you a break today. I know it is hard some days, but this too shall pass. You are a very good mama for answering your child's needs, but it is ok to get frustrated and need a break. I've been there too. I have found that nurslings tend to want to nurse more when there is is a change in schedule, momma has been stressed, stuff like that.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Boy do I remember that feeling, I'm sure you are not alone!!

I think that age is a really intense period of nursing constantly and being very insistent about it as well, for a lot of toddlers. It's hard to deal with especially when you value following your child's cues and suddenly that is conflicting with your needs. Sounds like you have a case of mommy burnout and really need some regular breaks. Often making a small change to relieve some of the stress is just enough, and you feel better.

One thing I used to do was get outside, I don't know if the weather will allow that where you are but whenever ds was playing outdoors, he went longer between nursings. Also at that age you can do some simple fun activities to keep him from getting bored. When they are bored they think of nursing first, IMO. Water play outside is always great. Ds still loves it when I fill a big bowl with suds and give him plastic spoons and containers, if we are inside I just put down a big old blanket and let him go at it.

I have a habit of passing off ds to DH when he gets home. Once DH is changed and ready to socialize, it's daddy time. The evenings are their time together, it gives me a moment of breathing time too.

I think it's entirely possible it's a reaction to the disruption in his routine. Toddlers love routine and feel secure with it. You might try making up a story about a little boy who spends the evening with Grandma, and all the fun things they do. Toddlers love to hear stuff like that over and over and it might help him get used to the idea. The good part is, you'll want to have him spend more evenings there so he can get used to it being just another part of life, lol.

hope things are better today.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I couldn't help but read your post and sympathize. My DS was very much and still is the same way. At 18 months my DS was a heavy nurser. He still nurses a lot at two, but not as much as he did around that age. Infact I thought there was something worng with him for wanting to nurse so often, when a friend of mines son was down to nursing twice a day and once at night, without her encouragment. Infact he is fully weaned now. My DS still nurses several times a day...more if I would let him/

In March my Grandmother died, we were gone for three days. During that time my DS nursed about 4 times a day. He wasn't interested in nursing with playing with the other kids and all of hte new excitment with being away from home. I figured that nursing was well on its way out the door. I had another thing coming, because when we got home from our trip he nursed for what seemed like around the clock for two days. My milk supply had dropped off while were away, and he was determined to regain it back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts