Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had wrote DH an email explaining how much I'd like a midwife & a homebirth in an easy-for-him-to-understand way. And he can't interrupt me if I send him an emai l
. A friend had told me that there are 3 midwives in the area too

So he gets home from work yesterday, and I can tell he's a tad bit upset. After awhile, we start talking about it, and he's drilling me with questions I don't know the answers to, so I finally said that it would be best if we could arrange a meeting with one to answer these questions, and he agreed!!

his main concerns are what would happen if I started bleeding heavily & it won't stop, and what kind of supplies a midwife usually brings.

So hopefully this will work out. I'd be on cloud 9 if it does!

P.S. I had another dream last night that we had another U/S done, and it was DEFINITELY a boy. Don't know why there was a stupid nurse in the room who ruined it for us, since we were trying to see for ourselves, and she immediately said, oh, it's a boy! before we could get a good look. I wanted to smack her, LOL.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That's really exciting. I know that my DH felt more comfortable after we started meeting with midwives. If your husband is statistics-minded, it might help for you (or the midwife) to show him all the stats showing that homebirth is as safe or safer than birthing in a hospital.

I really hope this works out just as you want for it to....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Oh that's great Mama. The more things he has issues with that he can solidify into questions the better. Because then the MW can address them.

I hope he really connects with the mw when you meet her and that he gets on board. Sounds like he is getting there.....YEAH!

ND

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Midwives bring everything to the homebirth, Oxygen, etc... The only difference between a birth center birth and a home birth is the location.

They, i'm pretty sure, carry pitocin for bleeding etc...

It is great that he is open to considering it now. and, after talking with a midwife and getting his questions answered by a professional, he should feel much more relieved.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Katt - good to know! I wasn't sure exactly what they brought. DH said that if they had the basics for an emergency, he would be fine with it. He mentioned something about a baby warmer, I didn't reply, but I would've said that that's what we're for, LOL.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yes, my mw brings pitocin (to stop bleeding after the birth, if needed) and oxygen, etc. My DH was more comfortable doing the birth center, until he found out that they bring everything to your house that is available at the birth center. He decided that going to a birth center is basically like going over to someone else's house, so why bother.

·
Registered
894 Posts
*baby warmer*
The midwives we went through (3 homebirth mws) while pg with Gracie recommended towels. The one we ended up using put them in the dryer while I was pushing, and then we had nice toasty warm towels that we wrapped her (and me) in
so skin to skin plus toasty dry towels-- great babywarming.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My DH was just like that when I broached the homebirth subject with him. Once he got to meet the midwife and she answered all his questions and some, he felt much much better and gave me the go-ahead.

Good luck!

Oh, and be sure to let your midwife know that he's skeptical and will need some information as to safety and whatnot so that she can be prepared. My midwife even pulled out the pelvis and a babydoll to show DH the different presentations and how they work through them. She was great!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
That is great!
:

My DH was similar and actually talking with the MW was just what he needed to be completely on board. He could not only hear the answer, but also see how calm and professional she was. She could also add extra info that we hadn't thought to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.