Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had one of those moments where your heart just lept into your throat? Today I was waiting in the car for my MIL and Adrian had climbed into his seat. I was sitting back there with him keeping him busy and when MIL got to the car, I jumped in the driver's seat and took off. About 3 minutes later, Adrian yelled something to us, so I looked back at him and he wasn't buckled in! It was one of those panicked, what-do-I-do moments. I flipped out and told MIL to reach back there and buckle him. We were on the highway and I couldn't pull over.

I *still* cannot believe I forgot to buckle him. I keep thinking, "what if" ya know? What if today I had been in an accident? Thank goodness nothing happened, but my heart still races when I think about it. How did people cope 30 years ago when they didn't have decent car seats? My mom only had a stupid high-chair type thing for my brother in the 70's. And she *knew* what could happen to a baby in an accident because she saw a baby die when it had been throw from the car in an accident right outside her apartment. How did she calm her fears about accidents? UGH.

I'm sooooo grateful for the wonderful seats we have these days and I will NEVER AGAIN forget to buckle him. There was just no excuse for today. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and my son's life isn't worth that.
I just feel so STUPID.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I have totally done that before with my biggest. More than once, actually. Thankfully my son has always reminded me to buckle him in before we've made it off our street. However, with the baby, one time I got to where we were going before realizing that the baby bucket hadn't clicked into the base right! EEEK!!!!
We all make mistakes and sometimes I cannot believe I make it through the day with the fog mamahood has placed on my brain. I try to be careful and double check everything, but no one's perfect.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Don't feel bad, mama - accidents happen!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
That happened to us once when DS was still using his infant carrier/car seat. We brought him into a restaurant in his carrier, unbuckled him so that he could hang at the table with us, then settled him into his seat while we ate dinner. It was winter, so he had a blanket over him (so we couldn't see the straps), and when we left we totally forgot that he was still unbuckled. It wasn't until DH was getting him out of his carseat at home that we realized that we had driven all the way home (including on freeways) with him not strapped in!!
:
:

It was terrifying, and I played the "what if" game too, but thankfully everything turned out okay and now (as I'm sure you will be too) I'm hypervigilant about carseat straps!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Once when ds was just a couple months, in sleep deprivation I did this. I got him in his car seat, put the straps over his shoulders, and somehow completely forgot to actually buckle it. It was longer than 3 minutes for me...probably 15 minutes (and not until we reached our destination and I had parked and gone to get him out) before I realized. It had also been a drive on the highway, if I recall correctly.

It is truly one of the worst feelings. Yes, heart in throat. It took me quite some time to shake it.

Probably every parent has had moments of inattentiveness that they regret. But luckily for most of us, the worst does not happen. The only thing to do is to forgive yourself. Believe me, I have never forgotten to buckle up ds again.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Don't feel bad. I have done it numerous times. At least now my son is old enough to remind me. I just did it the other day and we had to pull off onto a highway exit ramp so I could buckle him in. The times it happens are always when I get interrupted by something.

Our mother's dealt with their fears the same way we cope with ours, you do the best you can and hope for the best. Plenty of kids die in accidents that were properly buckled in. All it does is decrease the chance, not eliminate it.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I did something similar. DD1 and DD2 and I were at the library... when we left I put DD2 in her bucket car seat and placed it in the backseat (we don't have the base in our car) and I went to open the trunk for DD1. It was hot so I was anxious to go and not really thinking... so I got in the front, DD1 climbed in back with DD2 and we took off... after a couple minutes DD1 mentioned that DD2's carseat seemed awfully loose and wiggly... I looked back and sure enough, I hadn't strapped in the car seat. I freaked and pulled onto a side road... thankfully we were on a quiet road and hadn't gone far.

I still feel bad to this day.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I did it twice. The first time, I met dh at Target, as I was buying a computer desk and it wouldn't fit into my car. He grabbed our ds and put him in the car seat, but then I was struggling w/ the desk and he got out to help. I naturally thought he strapped ds in, until I started driving away and looked in the rear view mirror and thought it was odd I could see his chest. I then realized he wasn't buckled.

The second time, I didn't click the clip in completely and after our journey, luckily only about 1 mile, The chest belts were across his chest but not locked...

so scary.. I felt like a horrible mother.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've done it too, several times. My daughter thinks it's hilarious!
It is scary, but we do our best and can't expect more than that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yep, this happened to me just last week. We were about halfway through our 45-min commute when suddenly DS announced, "Mama, I'm not buckled in yet." OMG! Luckily he spoke up just as we passed a gas station so I pulled in there and buckled him in. Definitely a "bad mama moment" but like everyone else has said -- don't beat yourself up over it. It happens, and just thank goodness it turned out okay.

(My DS thought it was funny too -- now almost every time we get in the car he tells me he doesn't want me to buckle him in right away, he wants us to drive to that same gas station and do it!
: )

-Joan

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
i've done it too. dd has let me know, thankfully! i did drive to my friend's house (thankfully only 8 blocks away) with her buckled into her carseat that was NOT buckled into the car!
:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Its alright mama... I've done that, and so has every other mother I know....

Your little one is fine and thats the important thing.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only space cadet who's forgotten to do the buckles on the carseat! I didn't go very far, only a few blocks, but I'd been so occupied with getting cranky ds to get in the car and helping him get his new sunglasses on I just spaced on fastening his buckles.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Oh man, I'll never forget when this happened to me. I was out shopping with my mom, and when we got to the car I strapped ds into his seat, and set it in the car. We had bought these big huge foam squares, and about 20 minutes later we were going around a really sharp turn, so I turned around to make sure the foam cube didn't tumble onto ds, and I see ds, carseat and all, tumble down the backseat! OMG, I screamed so bad my mom almost wrecked - she thought the baby had fallen out of the car or something. I had strapped him into his seat, but since we were in my mom's car, I wasn't using the base that his infant seat snapped into, just the seatbelt, which of course I totally forgot about and instead just set his seat down without strapping IT down.
:

Like a pp mentioned, thank goodness ds1 is now old enough to tell me when his straps are not done (which he has done more than once
).

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Another mom saying I have also forgot to buckle them in. Once I didnt notice that my dd had unbuckled my ds's seat until the next day when I went to put him back in again after a visit to my parents. I now have the buckle turned under so that dd cant accidently unbuckle him but I can still unbuckle it easy.

My dd is now old enough she tells me when she isnt buckled in and it happens a bit more now since she does the buckling herself. She will always tell me tho before I get out of our drive way.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
This also happened to dh and I when dd was about 2months old. We had gone out to dinner and she stayed in her carseat carrier becuase she was sleeping. She woke up and we unbuckled her. Then, snapped her back into the car without fastening her in. When we got home, I was such a mess about it.
:

Really, I feel this is just the universe's way of reminding us how important this part of our day is! I'm sure we have all learned from it.....even if we do have a few more gray hairs afterwards.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
UGH! That happened to me when ds was about 2 months old too! It seriously gave me the jitters for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
For a long time we only had one car seat for 2 cars so we were always switching it back and forth between our cars. On rare occaision if dh was in a hurry he'd just set it in the car and he'd usually tell me I needed to buckle it in before leaving. Now we have 2 (although one I'm just not sure about it's quality - it's used and from a friend in another state I don't have contact with and... it worries me - it's in a little bit rough condition - but I keep it in the van that is used for in-town errands mostly.
: )

On rare occaision I'd start to pull out without it buckled but looking over my shoulder to back out I'd see it. On rare occaision when we don't get in the car the way we usually do or if we're transporting something else that I spend a lot of time figuring out and dd gets into her seat and puts her straps on, I don't realize that she isn't buckled. But I've never driven any length without her buckled - a couple of blocks at most, on the very few occaisions it's happened, before I have that heart-in-my-throat feeling and pull over.

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
Me too! Dd had a very poopie diaper blowout and there was no way that I could contain it all or change the diaper. -I don't remember why this was the case, only that it was. All I could do was stick paper towels under dd and drive quickly the 1/2 mi home. Really, I have never seen so much poopie come out of one baby. Anyways, I got home and I looked back to see that dd's chest piece was buckled but the metal pieces that go between the legs were not. I totally freaked out.

Now I check dd in the rearview before I leave. No worries, nothing bad happened and you probably won't do it again. (soon)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i'm totally guilty of this too. it happened with my ds when we came out of the doc's office. he was only a few weeks old at the time , he was in the car seat and i just plum forgot (i was so sleepy). yes it scared me so bad i started crying when i went to reach to get him out. my dh was shocked i would have done that but yes "accidents happen".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts