Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was asking her question about her country and what kind of traditions & I asked did they have male circ she goes they have both it's done for the same reasons as males in usa her nephews were circ but it's more down when kids are schoolage or teenage.

So she told me her mom had her done so men would find her more appealing , cleaner & healthier.

quite interesting to me because as a mom I learn of a adult who is younger than me & she is in USA and she was circ in her teen yrs it's just shocking because as you grow up all you think was male circ existed and now their is also female circ too.

Maybe more & more females who come from praticing female circ countries would be more being open of themselves .
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
This year I wrote a book about my own circumcision (I was born in 1947 in Kansas, WASP). Already, women have contacted me from all over the country who have never talked to anyone about their loss before.

Female genital mutilation was only outlawed in the USA in 1996.
Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance covered clitoridectomies until 1977.

Today, they are still performing clitoral surgery on baby girls who are born with CAH... congenital adrenal hyperplasia. And they cut on children born not cookie cutter perfect -- with 'ambiguous' genitalia. They make out as if it's a medical emergency to conform all babies. And are the babies then 'normal'? To the doctors' satisfaction, I guess.

I know a woman who lost her clitoris in a less than ethical surgery in the year 2000 in a teaching hospital. She went in for a routine procedure and came out without a clitoris. No other doctor would see her about it. They told her to go back to her original doctor.

One woman was cut nearly a year ago even though she asked her doctor for no episiotomy but the doctor cut her anyway, saying, "Well, you don't want to TEAR, do you?" No other doctor would see her about it. They told her to go back to her original doctor.

I met a woman in my town (now age 35) had her fourth child, a daughter, three years ago. She realized how very different her anatomy was from her daughter's. Then she began remembering when she was three years old and they circumcised her in the hospital.

The fact that we have circumcised our young will some day be an embarrassment to all loving Americans.

Patricia
Excerpts of my book can be read at www.AesculapiusPress.com
and it can be purchased at amazon.com... http://tinyurl.com/zcusp
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
16,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by patriciarobin
This year I wrote a book about my own circumcision (I was born in 1947 in Kansas, WASP). Already, women have contacted me from all over the country who have never talked to anyone about their loss before.

Female genital mutilation was only outlawed in the USA in 1996.
Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance covered clitoridectomies until 1977.

Today, they are still performing clitoral surgery on baby girls who are born with CAH... congenital adrenal hyperplasia. And they cut on children born not cookie cutter perfect -- with 'ambiguous' genitalia. They make out as if it's a medical emergency to conform all babies. And are the babies then 'normal'? To the doctors' satisfaction, I guess.

I know a woman who lost her clitoris in a less than ethical surgery in the year 2000 in a teaching hospital. She went in for a routine procedure and came out without a clitoris. No other doctor would see her about it. They told her to go back to her original doctor.

One woman was cut nearly a year ago even though she asked her doctor for no episiotomy but the doctor cut her anyway, saying, "Well, you don't want to TEAR, do you?" No other doctor would see her about it. They told her to go back to her original doctor.

I met a woman in my town (now age 35) had her fourth child, a daughter, three years ago. She realized how very different her anatomy was from her daughter's. Then she began remembering when she was three years old and they circumcised her in the hospital.

The fact that we have circumcised our young will some day be an embarrassment to all loving Americans.

Patricia
Excerpts of my book can be read at www.AesculapiusPress.com
and it can be purchased at amazon.com... http://tinyurl.com/zcusp

Welcome to the board and I'm so sorry about what happened to you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
Welcome to the board and I'm so sorry about what happened to you.
Thanks, A&A. I am very sorry that abuse of any kind exists on any level. I love your sig: "Attachment parenting starts with leaving the foreskin attached."

I hoped that writing my story will prevent such things happening in the future. I have a plan for more books that develop the issue to make it very clear that circumcision hurts the child AND the adult that child becomes. There is never a need to cut healthy tissue.

As a hypnotherapist (and c'd person) who works with people who want to heal from trauma, I know that the effects of circumcision are longlasting and pervasive. I do not consider it to be a coincidence that the only three cultures that circumcise their young are at war in the Middle East.

Every baby should be protected from cutting. Every mother should be protected from cutting. The world will be safe when every child is safe.

I hope anyone who is able to, will attend the NOCIRC symposium in Seattle on August 24th - 27th. I'll be speaking on how to talk to people about circumcision. I'd appreciate any/all hints from others here. I think we need to have a very simple yet powerful way to talk about circumcision that makes it HISTORY.


I understand that 'soundbites' work well. They have worked for the circumcisers. I hope we can find soundbites that will work to end circumcision.

Thanks again for your kind words.
Sincerely.
Patricia
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by patriciarobin
This year I wrote a book about my own circumcision (I was born in 1947 in Kansas, WASP). Already, women have contacted me from all over the country who have never talked to anyone about their loss before.

Patricia
Excerpts of my book can be read at www.AesculapiusPress.com
and it can be purchased at amazon.com... http://tinyurl.com/zcusp
Welcome to MDC and to the CAC forum, Patricia
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,949 Posts
2 years ago I was the nurse of a very eldely woman who was circumcised. I found this out when I went to put a urinary catheter in her. I was shocked when I looked at her vulva while doing the procedure. She was from Germany. I did not discuss it with her at the time, she was so passive, almost like she was afraid of everyone who came into her room.
She very rarely spoke, and when she did, it was a simple yes or no answer, in a barely audible voice. Whatever happened to this woman in her life time had to be more than traumatic.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
My late GMIL was also 'cut' - she never told me the whole story, but I know that she had an external tumour (on her outer labia), and that they excised all of her external tissues (labia minora/majora and clitoris) to 'save her the bother' of having to worry about it
The attitude was that she was done having kids, and therefore didn't need any of those parts any more, 'cos she couldn't possible still be a sexual being
:

I can't help thinking that there must have been another option...she was certainly very damaged by it, physically and mentally.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie
Welcome to MDC and to the CAC forum, Patricia

Thanks, sweetie. I was browsing around the community and was reading some of the wonderful posts here. I started crying.

GooeyRN and BBB are correct... it sure messes people up. I am so happy to see the clarity of mothers on this forum. Circumcision hurts babies and the adults they become. This generation of babies will have better lives.

I decided when I was just a little girl not to have children... because I didn't want anyone else to feel as I did when I was a child... and i didn't even know what it was (consciously) that had hurt so badly. I didn't trust or bond with my mother and didn't learn how to love, honor and cherish.

I finally started feeling like a real human after I learned I'd been c'd... it made sense of my feelings and behavior. Better late than never. I'm almost 60 and feel as if my life is just beginning.

I am so happy for those of you who have families. It's very beautiful to 'hear' your joy. Your happy, loving sharing blesses us all. Many thanks. Big hugs to all.

Love, Patricia
 

· Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommytoB
So she told me her mom had her done so men would find her more appealing , cleaner & healthier.
I just find it interesting that the explanation for her circ is almost word for word the same explanation that people give for routince infant circumcision for males.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharondio
I just find it interesting that the explanation for her circ is almost word for word the same explanation that people give for routince infant circumcision for males.

That's right, Sharon. The same sound bites. It's like an ancient public relations campaign. Appeal to emotions. Bypass reason. Cut baby.

It's hard to argue with "cleaner, healthier, cuter, looks like dad"... and "God wants you to do it." Yet we now know that none of those claims are true. The line that worked on my mother was, "If she touches herself, she won't grow up to be a proper young lady." ("On Becoming A Woman" by Harold Shryock, 1951)

I love 100% transparency. With 100% transparency there would be no cutting. And I am big on logical, rational, questioning and challenging of assumptions. My English mother was far from stupid -- she taught me how to look at issues skeptically -- but she loved the approval of authority figures. She loved to rub elbows with doctors. And she was also lonely, I am sure, and susceptible therefore to attention. So I was her ticket into doctors' offices... Doctors were akin to royalty in her mind. Most people find it difficult to say no to authority figures. She did. But I have a feeling the pain -- both physical and emotional -- I experienced long after the surgery convinced her to be not quite so agreeable to doctors' suggestions.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
According to Amnesty international; "There have been reports of FGM among certain indigenous groups in central and south America, but little information is available."

And

"In industrialized countries, genital mutilation occurs predominantly among immigrants from countries where mutilation is practised. "

UNICEF world statistics show that there are NO FGM cases in Venezuela (1998-2004).
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/...tatistics.html

Unfortenately they do not show MGM statistics
but I've never heard that MGM is common in South America.

Confused.

As far as Germany. Unless she was originally an immigrant from cutting country I do not understand how & why she would have been circumcised.

Genital cutting is and has always been viewed as horrible from cultural POV but also from religious POV.Christian churches have always been strongly against it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Kia, hi!

Matthew Hess, who is trying to get an MGM bill passed to protect boys in the same way that girls are already protected by the FGM bill, says that Amnesty International has not supported (so far) and has not been willing to even discuss the matter of making a stand on MGM.

And since FGM is such a forbidden subject, I would suspect that few people are willing to report cases to authorities. I think wherever you have a circumcised doctor, you will find someone who thinks that circumcision is natural, normal and nothing to worry about... but where you have intact doctors, they will think quite the opposite.

And if Christian churches were opposed to circumcision, how did it become so common in the US? There was, until Katrina, only one Catholic hospital in the country that refused to do circumcisions. I don't know if that hospital survived the hurricane or not. In Utah, altho there is a very clear quote by Jesus in the Book of Mormon about not cutting, the circumcision rate is nearly 100%. In the east and midwest (Bible belt), circumcision rates are very high still. It is due to the west coast that the overall rate has dropped to 57% in the US.

Christians who read the New Testament find out there is no need for Christians to circumcise. Where I live, there are a lot of Jewish families that choose not to circumcise. The bris shalom is becoming more popular these days.

I think people, in general, are waking up. More parents are realizing that children deserve love and need protection. My respect to all you loving parents.

Love,
Patricia
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top