Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got here last night from Tunisia and Left the door open to our apartment.<br><br>
Thank God we live in a secured building, because my 2 year old son wondered out the door, down the hall, down the stairs to the second floor and wondered around down there too. Until thankfully again one of my neighbors spotted him and thankfully knew which apt I lived in and that I was his mom. iI was busy with my 6 month old, which isn't an excuse, but geesh. My home is childproofed, so I usually just come inside and let ds play while I get lunch or whatever ready. And then check in every so often.<br>
She's here one day and I already have these kinds of problems? What's next, locking him in the car? Which BTW she almost did last summer. Aaahhh, I want to pull my hair out sometimes.<br><br>
OMG, I am still in shock. I just said thanks to the neighbor because I couldn't believe it. I am still so irritated that I need to look after her as well. Besides leaving knives on the counters, what else can she do that I need to look out for? I already have to do this with my husband (suprise, suprise- like mother, like son) all the time. It's like having quadruplets.... I just had to vent, because I have 7 more weeks of this. YES, I said 7 weeks. And she is staying with us! I just hope this is the worst. YKWIM?

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Maybe you could sit down with her and explain to her that she can't leave knives out or doors open? And then watch your son closer. That would freak me out. I think sometimes people who aren't around children a lot forget what it's like and get lax with things like that.<br><br>
At my mother-in-law's house, I go around blowing out candles and shutting the back door (there's a pool). I know that's different than having her at your house for 7 weeks. That sounds stressful. Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I feel you, I have the same issues with my mom and my DH. (It was DH who left the front door ajar allowing DD to escape -- I caught her halfway up our neighbors' front stairs. Like you, I'm still in shock.) It is stressful -- whenever I enter a room I find myself doing a visual sweep, like a secret service agent clearing the room for the president or something. No fun.<br><br>
The only extra thing that I have to guard against when my mom is here is securing her medications, finding and picking up any pills that she may drop, etc, etc. Does your MIL take any meds?<br><br>
Much sympathy. Too bad you can't accidentally lock MIL in the car when you really need a break. (kidding, well, mostly kidding.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Watch out for hot food also...my mil is REALLY bad about that. Also, if you have stairs, make sure she puts the child gate back. Good Luck!! and I hope your lo's stay safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That would be terrifying! I'm glad he was alright and I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. Good luck with the next 7 weeks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts