Mothering Forum banner

OMG OMG OMG she CUT IT OFF!!! OMG

3K views 75 replies 66 participants last post by  Mavournin 
#1 ·
OMGoodness I am totally FREAKING out!
Background: I don't leave my kids with anyone very often, I don't like to leave them, if I need to do something child free I wait until my DH is home to watch the kids, or they go to grandma's or have an aunt watch them (occasionally a cousin who is 14-short periods only) BUT the other day (Monday) I had to go out of town with my mom, we had to drive 2 1/2 hours (one way) to pick up a couch and chair for her basement and then I had to stop on the way back and pick up my bridesmaid dress for a wedding I am in on the 26th. These things couldn't wait, my DH works 7 days a week right now so I had to go. I called my SIL to babysit, first off she is a wonderful person and will help you out no matter what, she is just a little (LOT) thick and quite naieve. I mean if the kids tell her I always let them eat a whole box of pop tarts for breakfast she believes them and gives it to them. I figured one day of over eating junk food isn't going to kill them right? even though I did leave out cereal, bread and told her the OJ was in the fridge they still had kool-aid and pop tarts for breakfast LOL. Anyway I laid out 7 clean diapers for Joe, I had left before he woke in the AM so I hadn't changed him from his night time diaper yet. I told her the diapers were there all laid out and put together and I put PUL covers there (with snaps) for her too so she wouldn't have to mess with the wool (rotating it) I figured she could handle taking off the one he had, I figured worst case she would throw it in the diaper pail right? (I forgot to tell her not to, but not a big deal, so I wash the wool)

THE TRAGEDY! I didn't even think about the diaper/cover when I came home, I got home at 5:15 PM my DH had been home for about an hour or so, there are 4 diapers left on the table. FOUR, which means he had been changed TWICE all day (DH changed him when he got home at 4 pm) so from 7:30 am and 4 pm he had 2 changes (one was out of his night diaper). I was a little grossed out at this, but figured he survived, no harm done. I didn't think about the cover yet. Now I was curious what happened to the cover last night, I wasn't sure what cover he had on but I didn't find one in the diaper pail (but she didn't put the diapers she changed in the pail either, they were on the floor where he had been changed). Anyway I am organizing diapers last night and realized that I am missing my blue wool soaker, I ask my DH if that was what Joe was wearing Sun night, and he said yes and that was the last time he saw it. So I do a quick search of the house, I find it....poor thing half under the lazy boy in the corner of the house (the dirty diapers had been on the other side of the lazy boy) and I grab it and figure I will wash wool tonight.....OMG there is something wrong, that doesn't look right!! What happened to my beautiful blue wool soaker!? I ask the kids, "guys what happened to Joe's cover?" My 5 yr old replies "____SIL___ couldn't get it untied so she CUT IT OFF HIM WITH THE SISSORS!!" OMG I nearly passed out right there! I mean talk about SPITTING mad.

I screamed, I nearly fainted, someone took SISSORS to my wonderful soft fluffy night time blue soaker!? WHY oh WHY would someone commit such a horrid act of cruelty!? My DH came running (thinking I was getting stabbed or something) and he was just as upset as that was his favorite soaker (always worked, fit like a glove). He said "OMGoodness my sister is a complete and udder *BLEEPING* moron!" then he wanted to call her and ask her for $40 to replace such a cover. (I had made this one so it didn't actually cost us $40 more like $6 for the wool plus my time) My first thought was tell her it was a MM and show her the $500 auction...LOL but then I thought -well she did baby sit for free, and we know she isn't all there as far as common sense, I CAN fix the cover (not real happy that I have to though) but why oh why would anyone think it is okay to CUT off a cloth diaper cover? I mean it was tied in a bow with a double knot so Joe couldn't untie it, I figured between a 39 yr old woman and her 14 yr old son they could figure out how to UNTIE it! I mean she could have asked my 5 yr old to do it HE probably could have done it.

JT did tell me that he told her she was gonna get in big trouble for cutting the cover, that was a BIG no no, wool is SPECIAL. (LOL good little hyena in training) her response was "well I will hide it here, and she can always make him a new one!" (Cuz I have all that extra time just loafing around here right?) JT knew it was naughty, but I am going to let it slide, if she had touched my MM or my FCB wool cover or ruined anything else I would have gone off, but she is right I can make him another one like that, it just irks me that she would think that cutting it off him would be okay! I mean DUHHHHH!

(my In-laws all think I am nuts for using cloth, they all think I am a weird hippy freak and hate watching Joe for fear of changing a cloth diaper!)

See less See more
#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAida
Oh, my. You poor thing...that poor soaker. Did she just cut the string or the whole soaker?
She cut the string and the ribbing where it was threaded, I mean I can rip it out and re-knit the ribbing and make a new string, but UGH! I wouldn't have been nearly as upset had she just cut the string yk?

Occasionally I have to cut things I have knitted to add to them or fix them in some way and I nearly tear up having to do it, and I am doing it on purpose to fix an item and am in control! I guess I am lucky she didn't cut Joe, I mean he is a squirmy toddler! poor poor cover, I hope it didn't hurt too much!

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristyH
OMG! I would have been furious too. I'm glad you can fix it though, at first I was picturing your poor wool cut into strips. I think harm to a wool cover should be punishable w/ time in prison!! :LOL
I was thinking the electric chair? LMAO

#11 ·
Does Lorena Bobbitt have a new boyfriend?

Seriously . . . From your title I was worried that there had been a terrible bris* accident somewhere

Okay, once I had trouble untying the drawstring of one of Noah's soakers, so I cut off the DRAWSTRING. Didn't occur to me to actually cut the soaker.

Karla

*for the non-Jews who don't know: a bris is the name of the circumcision ceremony for baby boys

#12 ·
OMG Marnie! I'm so so sorry. That is just AWFUL. That girl must be totally and completely CLUELESS to think it was ok! Your poor, poor soaker.

Aside from the soaker tragedy, who in their right mind wields SCISSORS around a squirmy BABY? Ummm. . . not a good idea.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama

I cannot believe that! I would take her out in the back 40 and kick her ***. Just kidding, but what a stupid thing to do!!! Have you said anything to her?
No I haven't said anything to her, I just found the cover late last night and frankly I am still quite steamed, I am afraid I would lose it and say things I can't take back. She is a ding bat, like I said she lets the kids eat and do whatever they want (non dangerous usually thankfully) but we had 3 packages of kool-aid squeeze bottles (6 bottles each) in the fridge and a full (brand new box) of pop tarts, and a whole box of bob the builder cookies ALL were gone when I got home. That is 18 bottles of kool-aid the kids drank (not to mention the 1/2 gallon of hi-c we had left) an 12 pop tarts, and a whole box of cookies. I have 3 small kids! That stuff would have lasted me a week or MORE here. So this woman isn't dealing with a full deck, but she DOES care for the kids and wouldn't hurt them (well maybe their nutrition LOL).

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifetapestry
Seriously . . . From your title I was worried that there had been a terrible bris* accident somewhere

I immediately thought she was talking about a circumcision, too!
: I was actually glad to hear it was only a soaker and not a penis!
: I am sorry to hear about your soaker, though.
Are you ever going to have her babysit again?

#19 ·
OH MY!

It sounds like if she babysits for you again maybe you need to teach her how to change cloth diapers & write a list for diaper change times

Also another question could she not tell that your son needed to be changed? I cannot imagine two diaper changes in an 8+ hour period during the daytime
:

Also regardless of if you can fix the wool soaker or make a new one couldn't she have called you if she had a problem? Cutting things is not a solution & hiding the soaker isn't a solution DUH. WOW! And it will take time to fix it or make a new one. I'm sorry!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReesesMomma
How old of a person are we talking about here? I'd be worried about leaving my kids with her again. Seriously, her reasoning seems way off. What if there was an emergency with the kids?

Anyway, I'd be upset about the wool too.

She is 39, and honestly as far as the safety of the kids is concerned she is really pretty good with them, she wouldn't let them do anything dangerous. The cutting thing does upset me because she had them close to Joe and could have hurt him, but I imagine she was careful, I just know she doesn't know the 'value' of wool at all yk? (or good nutrition LOL) In an emergency she has handled herself very well, it seems that is when he sense turns on LOL. And my MIL and other SIL are 2 and 3 blocks away, DH is 2 blocks away and JT can dial 911.

I don't leave them often, and won't leave them for a whole day again unless I don't have a choice, my mom is the first choice to baby sit, but she was with me and I couldn't take them with we were driving a truck.

#21 ·
Wow, wow, wow!!!!! That's all I can think of to say.

That and a little thankful prayer that while my SIL may be annoying sometimes she is not so thickheaded as to ever cut my wool. Thank you Lord.

Kitty

#23 ·
Oh that is just outrageous! And I'm sorry--did she think somehow they were disposable wool covers?!? How were you ever supposed to get it on him again?!? Not to mention having scissors that close to a baby....

Arrrgh...I am so so sorry...

#24 ·
You really are being kind by not having called her on it already. My POed butt would already be at her house and would have done something evil like cutting the waistband of her fav pants......I know I have anger issues
: but only when it comes to protecting those that I
and my dipes

I'm really sorry that this happened! Poor soaker! At least you can fix it, ya know with all your spare time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.