Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the blankets were over ds's face and head! He was okay just sleeping away or fussing cause he was hungry. Hes 5 weeks old and has slept with us since birth. It scaird me terribly to wake up this way and I was totally freaked out all day. This has happened twice now in the last week. Am I sleeping too hard? I still wake up at his first signal and nurse him and I fall back to sleep but I am scaird I am a danger to my baby, but I cant bring myself to putting him in a seperate bed. He hates laying down anywhere if I am not with him or if he's asleep he wont lay down in a sleeper (I think that the padding is too hard). I want this family bed to work but not at the risk of my child. Our mattress is really saggy too but we cannot afford to buy another just yet, it is in the plans. Are those co-sleeper beds (the one that goes into the bed) good? Wal Mart (those evil people) carries a little bed thing that goes into the bed and baby can sleep in it, the coolest thing is it has a light on it so you can see at night. It might take up what little room wehave anyways. Any suggestions for us? Incouragement?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
It happened to me too. Some people will remove the blankets (dress yourself and baby warmer if needed). I personally got into the habit of putting the blanket no higher than my waist, and I also would sleep with my head level with baby's head (instead of baby's head at chest level). I did that by scooching down after baby was done nursing. I'm sure different things will be comfortable for different people.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
(((hugs))) that can be so scarey!

Neither of my kids liked covers as babies, so I would just dress them appropriately and lay them next to me but on top of any sheets or blankets. I would recommend using a very breathable/thin covering, and either a cosleeper til you get a new mattress, or throw a piece of plywood between the mattress and boxspring. That helps ease the sagging.

Good luck, and keep cosleeping!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could do the schooch down thing I like that...duh why didnt I think of that then I wouldnt turn over into dh's elbows (the turkey sleeps with his arms behind his head). I am 5'3 so I could do that comfortably. Thank you for the suggestion thats good.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I like having the blanket or sheet at my neck so I would sleep with BABY's chest at MY head level. My older two were born in summer, in Dallas TX so blankets for them were not really necessary, and my youngest would get dressed in warm jammies so he did not need his own blanket either.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laohaire
It happened to me too. Some people will remove the blankets (dress yourself and baby warmer if needed). I personally got into the habit of putting the blanket no higher than my waist, and I also would sleep with my head level with baby's head (instead of baby's head at chest level). I did that by scooching down after baby was done nursing. I'm sure different things will be comfortable for different people.
:

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
i ahve done that...woke up with a baby near my waist under the cover...

it was a bit scarey, but they were ok. I just try to remember to tuck the cover around my waist, but my babies scooch downwards..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I live in MN and have had 2 winter babies. I buy some warm fleece PJs for myself and just cover my feet with a blanket. As for babies a onesie and warm blanket sleeper with the zip front great for night diaper changes. When they were newlyborn I swaddled them in 2 blankets other than that we didn't use blankets at all. As for the in bed co-sleeper I have never used one but a friend of mind did and liked it just fine. It's worth a try!

·
Registered
82 Posts
DH and I used separate blankets--he used the regular blankets, babes were blanketless and I had a separate blanket that I had only on myself. It was too hard to control what what going on in middle of the bed where the babes were if we both used the same set. I was moving around all the time anyway since I had two babies lined up the middle and would go back and forth to nurse.

Best to you with your little one!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rikiamber
I could do the schooch down thing I like that...duh why didnt I think of that then I wouldnt turn over into dh's elbows (the turkey sleeps with his arms behind his head). I am 5'3 so I could do that comfortably. Thank you for the suggestion thats good.
I did a version of this, by moving the baby up, (rather than myself down). We made sure there was lots of space between my pillow and dh's pillow and I pulled her up between the two (this was before she was big enough to move around much). Her head was well out of the blankets. Some times I put her on top of the blankets as others have suggested and I always wore a warm top to bed as well (which was hard for me to get used to!) We did all kinds of things (still do) and there was a still at least one time I woke up and she was under the covers. It is terrifying! But none of us (that have experienced this type of thing) probably really know how long babe was like that and maybe it wasn't very long at all and that's why we wake up! We may be more aware than we even realize. We can hope at least.

Sarah

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninafel
DH and I used separate blankets--he used the regular blankets, babes were blanketless and I had a separate blanket that I had only on myself.
Same here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have never tried the separate blankets but that might be an idea. DS sleeps at my head level, and loves to cuddle with blankets since he was a few weeks old. I've never seen him pull them over his face though. And if I lay him in his crib, he sleeps on his belly face down, that scares me more than when he sleeps with us. But I can't get him to change position

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put a separate blanket on the baby, and a really breathable one too. My blanket is at my waist, and I just dress warmly. I also sleep with my lower arm (the arm closest to the bed, that is, not the one closest to the ceiling) above the baby's head, so that there's an arm between baby and my pillow.

It's not the most comfortable position...but it's worked for a year and a half.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We got one of those cosleeper box things that go in the bed. (actually my mom got it for us while I was pregnant because she was nervous about us cosleeping). We've tried using the box a couple times but find that it takes up too much room in our queen size bed. The light that comes with it is AMAZING. When it was cooler and we were using blankets we put the baby between our pillows as a pp said and had the blanket to our neck and ds's waist. Now ds sleeps on my side and we use a guard rail that is marketed to be used for toddlers when they graduate to the big bed.

nak...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I tried the Snuggle Nest but DD didn't like it much and it was inconvenient for nursing. So when she was that small I dressed her warmly and wrapped myself up in the cover so there was no chance of it covering her. Later I did the blanket-at-waist-level thing.

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
We all have our own blankets, because we have different levels of comfort - dh sleeps all summer long with a thick heavy winter comforter (!!
: ) and dd likes a blanket, while I can't stand more than a thin sheet over my waist. not to mention having the advantage of eliminating the night-time blanket wars in winter!
And I was never really worried about my dd suffocating. Dress your baby warmly enough so that all he needs is a thin blanket, if that. We hear all the time this scare stories about babys dying because of co-sleeping, but if you look closely at the statistics, far more babies die in cribs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We had a saggy mattress and couldn't afford to buy a new mattress, too. We got rid of the frame and box springs and put the mattress on the floor. It works really well for us, especially cause our little one just started crawling, he can get off the bed without me having to worry about him falling!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts