Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be a cross post of a thread in diggin in the earth ...

We had someone give us a bunch of baby chicks last spring and now they are grown ... We ended up with 7 hens and 8 roosters. We have one rooster that is super aggressive and i would like to ring his neck but i have to much of a heart to do so ... Well today while feeding them my DD (2) let a bunch out 6 roosters and 1 hen ... i got one rooster (big red who is sweet and goofy) and the hen back in ... well now i have 5 out well 2 of them started fighting and i could not get them to stop ... I did everything i could think of without getting myself in the middle ... I even sat and squirted them with teh hose for 5 minutes and that did not stop them ... so i let them be ... well i went back out there and the 2 that were fighting we all bloody and i was able to get one of them in ... well then the few roosters left in the coop started attacking him ... he finally was able to roost and get away from them ... but now i have 4 roosters out ... so i went to put hay in the coop (which i did not get a chance to do earlier) and as i was leaving 2 of the roosters that were left out started chasing me .. they chased me all they way in my garage ... and i got in the house ,.... I dont know what to do with them ... they are to mean to give away and i live in an area where if i did i chance someone getting them to fight them in cockfights ... i just dont know what to do ... i will post this also in diggin in the earth and see if anyone has anything to say there ... any advice would be appreciated oh and to add to it ... they are always trying to breed with my hens (which i know is what is suppose to happen but this is drivin me crazy) ....

... thanks, melda

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
My family had this problem while I was growing up, but ours were all free range chickens. One day I went down to feed the horses and didn't get attacked... first time since the roosters were grown. I only saw one while I was down there. Went back up to the house to a wonderful chicken dinner. I never was attacked again. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but that's the only thing that worked for us.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I second the previous suggestion. Roosters are just not safe around kids. There are plenty of stories out there about small children loosing their eyesight due to a rooster attack. They can just be uncontrolably mean. It just not safe. I bet that if one of the roosters hurts you child you will be seriously considering that chicken soup thing.

Its not fair to the roosters or hens either. If you have too many roosters they will fight to the death. If you have too many roosters they will harass your hens way too much. You only need one rooster for about every 10-15 hens.

I know its hard. My kids had one rooster that was their pet. It took him forever to mature. The kids would carry him everywhere....even cradle him while they were swinging on the swings. Once he matured he started getting fiesty and agressive. We told the kids that he needed to stay in the chicken coop, but they would constantly let him out. My dh warned the kids that he would have to go soon. The final straw was when my 2yo was swinging on the swing superman style....the rooster came up to him and started attacking the 2yo's face. My son was frozen with fear and couldn't move. I was about 50 yards away and was running as fast as I could and yelling and my son to run away. My dh grabbed that rooster, and that was the end of him. The kids were upset, but they understood. We solved the problem by getting rid of the other roosters we had before they got agressive too. No more roosters means no more baby chicks...therefore no more roosters. We have 15 fat and happy hens now that are very gentle and lay plenty of eggs.

Be safe!!

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
it's sad that nature provides so many roosters for as few hens as they need. i wish there was chick sex selection; a lot of hatchery misery would be prevented.

i've killed and eaten my own before, but it is a mess and rather depressing if you don't *have* to... before some lovely animal advocates (and by no means am i pissed at all animal advocates, i am one myself to a degree) decided to harass everyone leaving animal ads on freecycle, i was able to rehome a few of my roos to homes as pets & to people with a flock of sex link hens. i had one silkie roo who matured late, & so far crows late enough in the morning, not at all at night, not so loud, & not mean to toddlers, so he gets to live. but because of the organized peta campaign, i would not be able to find a home as easily if he becomes a problem, and likely he would be soup, mine or someone else's.

if you can't bear to do it yourself (and are good at denial), a few 'free' ads up in ethnic mkts or farm stores ought to help. there is really no help for your preoblem but keeping them in cages separately, or buying a quantity of hens to spread out their aggression (which fosters yet more roo cruelty, it's just that you won't have to deal personally with the chicks that were smothered in bags at the hatchery.)

there are no good answers, sorry. even in nature, if all humans were comlete vegetarians (unlikely to happen when people have a choice), nature will still find a way to kill off the extra roos, predators or amongst themselves.

btw, i have had a handful of various roos in my life, (in one case, a big old bastard mean enough to harass the family pit bull when he went to a farm to live), and i haven't yet had one dangerous to kids. i wouldn't assume from the stories we've shared here that that is a given, you know? individual birds vary. ours is not what i'd call friendly, but he is far more likely to run from kids than charge them.

susan

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by party_of_six
Roosters are just not safe around kids. There are plenty of stories out there about small children loosing their eyesight due to a rooster attack. They can just be uncontrolably mean. It just not safe. I bet that if one of the roosters hurts you child you will be seriously considering that chicken soup thing.
I just replied to the other thread, but, I nearly lost an eye to a rooster when I was little, and I want to emphasize again, make soup!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.