Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
It's mind blowing, isn't it?

I'm singing in a cantata and my part is Mary visiting Elizabeth. It's just amazing to me, this whole thing. Even thought it's my fifth pregnancy, it's still amazing.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
That makes me very happy! I figure my baby will be marginally viable around the week of December 17, another milestone to which I look forward. Of course I don't want him born premature but there is something comforting about knowing that each day after that he grows stronger and more able to live outside the womb and that early labor would not inevitably result in losing him.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I always consider the point of fetal viability outside the womb to be a milestone, too. Obviously it's not what you WANT to have happen, but it is reassuring to know that if something drastic happened, your little one would have at least a fighting chance of making it through....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've been calculating the viable date too! It is a little surreal. It seems like just yesterday that I was happy to reach the 'hear-the-heartbeat-12week' milestone when miscarriages are less common and now I'm anxiously awaiting the viability point. Time is flying. I wonder if it will seem to slow after the holidays?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was just saying to my mom that I think time is flying and will continue until January. After that I expect time to just stop for the next 3.5 months.

What is the 'viable outside the womb age'? I was thinking 24 wks, but maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think 24 is the very earliest that babies have a fighting chance, but the odds increase quite a bit at 28 weeks. An article at the March of Dimes breaks it up like this (info is near the bottom of the page):

http://search.marchofdimes.com/cgi-b...d=viability%20

26-27 weeks : 80-87% survival rate but w/a 20-40% chance of lasting disability.
28-31: 90-95% survival rate
32-35: 98% survival rate

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaidinsgirl View Post
I was just saying to my mom that I think time is flying and will continue until January. After that I expect time to just stop for the next 3.5 months.

What is the 'viable outside the womb age'? I was thinking 24 wks, but maybe I am wrong.
I know someone with a little guy born at 23 weeks and some (don't remember how many) days. He survived but does have some disabilities and health challenges. I don't think I've ever heard of a child surviving before 23 weeks but I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts