Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread about babies being too big (or small) and needing formula made me think I never posted this.

My stepsister has a ds who just turned one. When he was born he was small, like 5 lb 5oz or something, and they discovered her placenta was calcified and classified him as an IUGR baby. She was planning to formula feed and her pediatrician asked her to please give breastfeeding a try. He said that the baby had already been deprived of nutrients because of the calcified placenta and the absolute best start she could give him would be breastfeeding. He asked her to please give it 6 to 8 weeks and then if she hated it she could stop and they would talk formula. She went on to breastfeed for 11 months, which shocked all of us. I think it's rare to hear a pediatrician argue so hard for breastfeeding, it's kind of encouraging. He's a young ped - maybe attitudes will change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.