Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aids is being discussed.

Just a few moments ago it was stated by a doctor that the risk of Aids being transmissited to a partner is higher when the man is not circumcised.

Many weeks back when Diane and her guests were discussing the new vaccine for cervical cancer I remember hearing a guest say something similar in regard to the human papillomavirus, which generally leads to cervical cancer.

I really hope doctor's don't start using reasons like these to persuade parents to circumcise their sons.

This segment is over at 11 a.m. EST, if anyone wants to listen to it archives are usually available an hour after the show ends.

The Diane Rehm Show

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I heard the show today as well. I didn't catch all of it but it was seemingly pro circ. I really think the "circ reduced AIDS transmission" is a huge load of propaganda.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sad part is too that they even got that wrong! The "studies" that are out and trying to be promoted now suggest that circing will inhibit the male from becomming infected, since the foeskin isn't there to absorb the virus. Intact and circumcised men transmit the virus through ejaculate equally.

Take care,
Tara

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
And isn't there another study that shows that circed men transfer HIV to women at a greater rate???

Jessica

·
Registered
38 Posts
USA has one of the highest death rates from AIDS and highest percentage of circumcised men, I need a calculator to figure this comparison out!!! Its still a procedure($$$) looking for a disease.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cv580
USA has one of the highest death rates from AIDS and highest percentage of circumcised men, I need a calculator to figure this comparison out!!! Its still a procedure($$$) looking for a disease.
Wow, that is a very good point. Des the US really have one of the highest death rates from AIDS?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ani'smommy
Wow, that is a very good point. Des the US really have one of the highest death rates from AIDS?
I heard it as the US has the highest infection rate in all developed countries and also has the highest circ rate in the world, but I could be wrong about the infection/death rate.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
A little OT but this is something I've always wanted to ask. I love NPR but I can't for the life of me listen to Diane Rehm. She has great guests sometimes but ta .. l k .. s ..... s . o ..... s l .. o ... w. I go nuts just trying to hear her get through a sentence, I don't have the patience. I don't like slow talkers in general, my mind moves very fast so it's hard for me to keep up with anyone talking slow but Diane Rehm is like out of control slow. I can't do it. And I wish I could because I think she has such interesting people on sometimes. But I can't. How do you guys listen to her?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara
A little OT but this is something I've always wanted to ask. I love NPR but I can't for the life of me listen to Diane Rehm. She has great guests sometimes but ta .. l k .. s ..... s . o ..... s l .. o ... w.
She has a voice disorder, spasmodic dysphonia, which explains the way she talks, but may not make it easier, for some, to listen to her.

It doesn't bother me. She has become a favorite of mine, I think she does a wonderful job with her guests.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
I do like how she really questioned Dr Fouchi (I am probably misspelling his name) on the circ issue. She didn't just let it go, she asked for clarification.

I think he needs some serious education!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itlbokay
She has a voice disorder, spasmodic dysphonia, which explains the way she talks, but may not make it easier, for some, to listen to her.

It doesn't bother me. She has become a favorite of mine, I think she does a wonderful job with her guests.
I always wondered why she spoke that way. It makes it really hard, which sucks because like I said, she has some great guests and topics but I just can't do it. It's painful to try to listen. I need a quick pace, a fast talker to keep me engaged. When I am waiting for a word I get annoyed. I wonder how she has been able to have a job like that for so long. I guess other people are able to listen to it. I had a few college professors that talked slowly. It didn't seem like they had any disorder, they just poke slowly. I have dropped a couple classes during the first week because of it. My anatomy class I specifically remember. I dropped it and had to wait until a different professor taught it. My husband can listen to her and really likes her. I just can't, it hurts. I am almost in tears sometimes when he listens to her it hurts my brain so bad having to sit for what seems like seconds at a time waiting for a word, or a thought to be completed. I need a quick pace. Speech wise a quick pace. I read really fast too ( which is why it's also painful for me when someone tries to read to me outloud. I can. NOT. Do it. Dh sometimes wants to read to me and I can't do it. I'd rather read it myself, sounding out the written word makes it take 10 times longer to get through it.) OK, sorry for OT, I've just been unable to express my feelings about her show for a long time now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't think I've heard her, I could imagine it might bother me too-- I went crazy in school when people read aloud.

Quote:
"In the mornings at home, she'd worry about the coming pretaping sessions, which usually took just five to 10 minutes but these days required 20 or 30"
I have this type of issue with writing. Only it is worse. In my 'prime' it took me 2-3 times as long to write something as the other person. Now it takes me even longer to write things. It is actually really paralyzing to me personally and professionally right now.

I wish I could find out I had some disorder and fix this- lol!

Jessica

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Oh yeah. Reading aloud in class sucked. I can't believe they still make kids do this. I'd be done with the paragraph by the time the kid is just finishing the first sentence. It doesn't seem to help anyone but the reader, meanwhile everyone else suffers. I think they should ban it in school and just have kids read aloud at home with their parent's supervision or whatnot. It wastes so much classroom time. It was painful for me during school.

I had a nursing professor who did this, she would hand out a packet at the start of class every day and just stand up front and read it word for word. If you asked a question she would always say "I don't know, I'll look it up and get back to you tomorrow". It was such a waste of time. I could read the darned thing myself, on my own time, and in probably 1/8 of the time it took her to read it to us in class. Horrible teacher. Painful and a big fat waste of time.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yes, but some of my classmates really LOVED this- even in high school-- and NOT because it wasted time. I know one of my friends said that if he read it aloud he knew it perfectly (like photographic memory) but if he read it silently he wouldn't remember it at all.

Jessica

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessjgh1
Yes, but some of my classmates really LOVED this- even in high school-- and NOT because it wasted time. I know one of my friends said that if he read it aloud he knew it perfectly (like photographic memory) but if he read it silently he wouldn't remember it at all.

Jessica
I agree it can be helpful, but can't they read aloud to themselves at home and not in front of the whole class KWIM?

sorry this is so OT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.