Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We go constantly. And unfortunately I eat fast food constantly. We need to stop. Its not healthy and is expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have to feed myself and my 2.5 year old when we go out.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
It's so tempting to just drive-through, though, isn't it?
Since DS discovered chicken nuggets, we eat waaay too much fast food. I try to keep it as a treat, though.

First, are you looking for meal or snack suggestions? Do you have a cooler or an insulated bag? Do you need foods that can be literally eaten while driving/riding, or can you stop and use a fork sometimes? any dietary restricitons?

So, sandwiches, obviously. And variations on that theme -- stuffed pitas, wraps made with tortillas or flatbreads. You can put just about anything in them, roll 'em up and go. Crackers with cheese squares and meats (if oyu eat meat) -- like homemade Lunchables. Veggies with a small container of dip. Fruit, cut up if necessary for the little one, or fruit salad. Granola bars, homemade or otherwise, and cereal bars and trail mix. If you can use a fork, pasta- and grain- (rice, quinoa, barley, etc) salads are good, keep well, and you can put in chicken or chickpeas or lentils or hard-boiled eggs or tuna for protein, with lots of cut-up veggies too. Make a big batch at the beginnign of the week and pack some every day. Or chicken- or tuna- or egg salad with crackers or crispbread (like Wasa bread) for spreading/dipping. Hardboiled eggs travel well (and are kid-friendly). Quiche/frittata would be good -- make ahead and freeze or even just refrigerate. You can make egg sandwiches (like McMuffins or similar) to go -- I used to make up a whole batch and freeze, with egg and sausage and cheese on english muffins, then take out one at a time, oven-warm or nuke, and wrap to go. Burritos and fajitas can be done on the same premise, freezing batches ahead, although they will be a little messier for traveling. Peanut butter balls (1 cup p.b., 1/4-1/2 c. honey, 1 cup dry milk, whatever other extras like sesame seeds, wheat germ, carob etc, roll into balls and chill) travel well and are filling and tasty.

Does this give you some ideas/inspiration?

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Grapes and apple slices/sticks
Nutritious snack bars
Bananas (they come in their own wrapper and they aren't too messy!)
Almonds and walnuts etc
Wraps with veggies and such
Veggies and avocado, salsa, or hummus
Flat breads

·
Registered
116 Posts
We are also a family that is constantly on the go. I NEVER leave home without my snack bag (cooler bag) full. Sometimes I pack it at night and stick it in the fridge -- just throw a freezer pack in it in the am and go.

Our basics typically include whole fruits (apples, bananas, plums, peeled oranges, grapes, etc.), mini cottage cheeses, yogurt, applesauce, leftover cut-up chicken, cheese sticks/squares, whole grain pretzels/crackers, raisins, cheddar bunnies, rice cakes, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, ummmmmm, whatelse?? Oh, always a few bottled water. We carry sippy cups and refill constantly. I always keep healthy stuff in the car b/c we will eat whatever we have, so it is a good way to get good stuff into their bodies!

HTH!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have just discovered that making french toast ("eggy bread" as my ds calls it) out of english muffins (we use the Ezekiel 4:9 for more protein) with some ground flax seed (and maybe cinnamon if we feel like it) travels really well and is especially yummy at room temperature. Easy for him to hold on to in the back seat (my ds is also 2.5).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
we pack snacks a lot in our cooler. I also got DS a little Crocodile Creek lunchbox (he's 3.5), which he likes for the car.

We do things like:
sandwiches/wraps
sliced fruit or veggies
homemade Lara type bars or granola bars
nuts for the adults (good for holding off hunger)
hardboiled eggs if we have them

We bring our Klean Kanteens everywhere too.

For a quick on the go breakfast, we keep some organic frozen waffles handy and DS will eat them in the car. The wholefoods house brand (365 organic) is much less expensive than the other brands). One of our few convenience foods, but I mostly try to save it for the car.

Good with some nut or seed butter for extra protein too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.