Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help with the center-pull ball! Now I'm wondering about super twisty yarn!<br><br>
I bought some Noro Big Kureyon and it's so frickin' twisty that I'm really hating it! I hand wound it into a center-pull- would that make a difference for some reason?<br><br>
How do you fix this? Or prevent it? Every so often I'm dangling the knitting to let the stupid thing un-twist, which helps, but ARGH!! It's annoying and taking much of the joy out of my knitting!<br><br>
Help!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I haven't used that yarn, but it's a single, not plied, tight?<br><br>
If so, hand-winding can definitely impact the twist. Becasue it's not balanced by another ply, it's easy to add twist as you turn it to wind. It can also get added twist depending on the way you knit (continental vs english).<br><br>
You can re-wind the ball, winding in the other direction. Just make sure you don't overdo it and take out the original amount of twist. Also, as you wind it, if you pay attention to the way you are moving the yarn and your hand, you can try to wind it so that it's not adding extra twist as you go. It's hard to describe, but I think you'll see what I mean if you practice. A good way to visualize it is to wind some ribbon or a strip of fabric into a ball, and watch how the twist forms.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I would rewind the ball. As liawbh mentioned, sometimes you twist the yarn when winding, but also yarns have a right and wrong direction that they like to be worked in, which is normally only noticeable with singles and yarns like Kureyon.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'll try re-winding and see if that solves my problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts