Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please advise!<br><br>
We have a 6 month old who is on the verge of crawling. She recently fell out of bed on her head due to restless wiggling in a half asleep state (luckily, she's fine. We have a king size latex mattress).<br><br>
What have other families done in this situation? Bedrails? Do they really cover the entire length of the bed? I'd have to get 3 bedrails....I priced them and they're really expensive!<br><br>
Our mattress is high off the ground. I'm also worried about what she'll do when she can crawl and wants out. She'll probably just try to climb over and half kill herself! Any advice?<br><br>
Jess

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i like bedrails for when we are all asleep in the bed, just in case. but when they are sleeping by themselves at that age, i really liked to at least be in the same room or put her somewhere safer (on a blanket on the floor or in a crib).<br><br>
there are so many ways people deal with this.<br><br>
a really high quality monitor cut up high so you can rush in when you hear the covers rustling.<br><br>
or<br><br>
put the mattress on the floor<br><br>
or what we did was transition him to a blanket on the floor and then the crib. just part time when we were not sleeping too.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We put the mattress and box spring down on the floor with no frame, and I'm teaching DS to turn around and scoot off the bed backwards instead of lunging face-first off the side. DS loves to pull up on and climb anything and everything, so even though he's not super mobile yet, I would worry too much about bedrails because I think he'd just vault himself over them. In our case I feel safer with him in a low bed.<br><br>
I also second the PP's suggestion of a good monitor. I can hear if DS rolls over or just stirs in bed, so if he's awake I can be there before he gets moving. When I'm sleeping in bed with him, he's usually on the inside and I'm on the side closest to the edge so I'll hopefully wake up before he gets close to the edge.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Right around 6 mos, my DS started wiggling too much, too. We moved him onto a sleeping pad on the floor right next to the bed so we didn't have to worry about him falling out of bed. That worked pretty well.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Well, first and no matter what, you need to teach baby how to get out of bed. Spend a day showing her how to get off the bed feet first.<br><br>
With us, we just did it, wiggled off feet first, while he watched several times. Then we'd pull him to the edge, turn him around, and help him down feet first a few times. Then when he'd go to the edge, we'd help him turn around and get him down feet first. We were talking the WHOLE time.<br><br>
After that day, he has always gone down feet first.<br><br>
Second, and I really recommend this, get rid of that frame. We had a box spring and mattress on the floor, and while I did miss my nice frame, it was absolutely 100% worth it for DS's safety and my piece of mind. Did DS ever fall? Yes. Was I happy it was only 1.5 feet rather than 3 or 4 feet? YES.<br><br><br>
Oh, adding the following. For future babies, we're going to get a video monitor. We've always had DS nap in our bed, and once he was moving we put pillows around him. We have to check on him often, for various reasons as he got older, and sometimes that wakes him up (he wakes up when I go in especially). So for the future we'll get a video monitor so we can see him without having to go down the hall.<br><br><br>
We bought a bed rail, put it up against the bed, and took it right back. We figured with a moving baby, that bed rail was going to serve as a launching pad, making any falls far more forceful than before, and actually causing more problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts