Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 yo loves school! She's very smart and good at everything she does. My 4yo on the other hand is HATING preschool. He is a bit "slower" than she is and he is a very different personality than she is. Every morning he has been saying he doesn't want to go and he hates it... so yesterday and today we've kept him home.

Anyone else have one (or more) kids in school and one (or more) at home? How is this working for you?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I am always awed by the variety of experiences I find in my homeschool group. There is every possible mix reperesented, and kids & families are often experimenting with different configurations, depending on needs (which change over time). I say, do it and come what may, kwim? You may love it so much that your dd comes home as well, or maybe they need different things. I have two at home, and one in private school, after hsing all of them. (My oldest is in college).

·
Registered
101 Posts
We have juggled many different scenarios. Some in school, all at home, all in school. One of our sons DOES NOT do well in school and therefore has been homeschooled for the last three years. We recently moved to Switzerland and tried putting him in school, mostly because he really needs to learn French inorder to live here. Unfortunately, or fortunately it didnt work and he is home now while his other two brothers are in school. I would encourage you to keep your son home for the emotional state of both your son and YOU, after all he is only in preschool and all the stress is really not worth it. Take care!!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthjunkie27 View Post
My 6 yo loves school! She's very smart and good at everything she does. My 4yo on the other hand is HATING preschool. He is a bit "slower" than she is and he is a very different personality than she is. Every morning he has been saying he doesn't want to go and he hates it... so yesterday and today we've kept him home.

Anyone else have one (or more) kids in school and one (or more) at home? How is this working for you?

It is a complete and total drain of my energy and time. I have two in school and two I will homeschool. Most of my objections have to do with the amount of time the younger two spend in a car during the day while we drive the girls back-and-forth to school. In one more year my oldest will have her driver's license and then I don't think it will bother me as much.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Having a boy and girl who have been and one still is in school..i see a huge difference between my boy and school and my girl in school..my son...never like school..never...it took me 7 years to wake up and pull him out..now my daughter is total opposite..she like school and she likes schooly things..now some days she says she doesnt like school..but majority of the time she loves school...each child is different and we must see that and respect that..you are doing the right thing by seeing this early and preventing harships for your son down the road..honestly boys are looked upon differently in school..it's a mantality that some teachers..not all have..and it's so sad.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
My boys used to be homeschooled and now have been in private school for about
2 1/2 years. They love school! They are both very quiet, laid back and mature for their age. They excel in most areas, have had great teachers so far and just love it. I planned to go back to H/S'ing them in high school but both of them say they want to stay in school then as well. We will see when the time comes.

My DD, however, is 5 and just started kindergarten this year and is a little hyper and tends to be outspoken, stubborn. I have been considering pulling her from school and H/S'ing for a while but I know DH won't go for it.
I've been there, done that with the H/S and know it would be good for her.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to drop the preschool. Then again, that's opinion having never sent any of my kids to preschool anyways (although my older two went to public elementary school). I've always thought preschool would be a "fun" option for that age group, but I never understood the need that some people seemed to have for it.

We've done various scenarios wrt kids in school & at home. This year my oldest is in 9th grade/public school and my other 4 are at home. It is working well for us.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I currently have one in public school (1st grade) and one is homeschooled (2nd grade), plus the two year old.

The pro is obvious - I feel each child is where they need to be for their needs.

The cons:

* I live in my minivan. Between driving to and from school, and to and from the homeschoolers activities, I am always driving, often with the two year old too.

* School start and end times sometimes conflict with the homeschool activity times. The homeschool boys book club and the homeschool swim team both meet during the time that I need to be picking my public school child up form school.

* We miss out on the freedom-to-travel aspect that other homeschoolers have. I would like to go on little trips to various places but need to either coordinate with the school schedule or hire sitters to watch my public schooled child after school (plus I feel guilty at the thought of leaving him home).

* Bedtimes stink. I have to get my public schooled child to bed at a reasonable time so he'll be able to be awake when school begins at 7:40, but my homeschooler is a night owl and the evening would be the ideal time for some of his lessons. Needless to say, my child in school isn't thrilled about having to go to bed if his brother is still awake.

* My day is also feels very long. I get up at 6:30 to get the public school student up and ready for school, I deal with the two year old and the homeschooler and all their activites all day long, then I deal with the public school student's activity (karate) and homework and ALL those papers the school sends home in the afternoon, I'm packing a lunchbox in the morning and fixing a lunch at noontime, and cooking dinner and doing dishes and getting all the kids ready for bed, and folding laundry, and it's 10:30 and I haven't had a moment to myself ALL DAY!

Okay, sorry you asked yet?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I'm depressed reading the post above me. Seriously, that sounds like hell.

Thankfully, that's not been my experience, but if you think it might be yours, think long and hard.

My hs youngest (night owl) is up at 9:15, and my 13 yr old schooler and my 15 yr old hsers are both alseep. Don'tt ask me why they are like this-- I cannot answer. (Neither one is a TV watcher, so maybe that's partly it?)

·
Registered
727 Posts
My oldest is in PS this year, and my youngest is homeschooling. It is definately a unique lifestyle and so far we have made it work for us. I have done schoolage home daycare so I'm used to scheduling my time around the school.

One thing I try to be aware of is spending quality time with the one in school. We don't have all the time we used to have together when he was homeschooling.

Your children are very lucky to have a mom who is aware of their needs and willing to accomodate them.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
I currently have one in public school (1st grade) and one is homeschooled (2nd grade), plus the two year old.

The pro is obvious - I feel each child is where they need to be for their needs.

The cons:

* I live in my minivan. Between driving to and from school, and to and from the homeschoolers activities, I am always driving, often with the two year old too.

* School start and end times sometimes conflict with the homeschool activity times. The homeschool boys book club and the homeschool swim team both meet during the time that I need to be picking my public school child up form school.

* We miss out on the freedom-to-travel aspect that other homeschoolers have. I would like to go on little trips to various places but need to either coordinate with the school schedule or hire sitters to watch my public schooled child after school (plus I feel guilty at the thought of leaving him home).

* Bedtimes stink. I have to get my public schooled child to bed at a reasonable time so he'll be able to be awake when school begins at 7:40, but my homeschooler is a night owl and the evening would be the ideal time for some of his lessons. Needless to say, my child in school isn't thrilled about having to go to bed if his brother is still awake.

* My day is also feels very long. I get up at 6:30 to get the public school student up and ready for school, I deal with the two year old and the homeschooler and all their activites all day long, then I deal with the public school student's activity (karate) and homework and ALL those papers the school sends home in the afternoon, I'm packing a lunchbox in the morning and fixing a lunch at noontime, and cooking dinner and doing dishes and getting all the kids ready for bed, and folding laundry, and it's 10:30 and I haven't had a moment to myself ALL DAY!

Okay, sorry you asked yet?

Wow, you really do understand.

I think the scheduling is what bugs me the worst. For example, our homeschool group has a field trip to the apple orchard on Thursday which we are probably going to have to skip because it is about the same time I have to pick the girls up from school.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have 2 in ps(K and grade 2).The older one says she is through with school and plans to stay home next year.The younger one likes school and wants to go for grade 1,thought he did say he wished daily attendence was optional.

I am sure we will miss hs outings,but dd and I will just have to do what we can on our own before getting ds from school each day.Maybe once in a while we will keep ds home for school if there is a field trip he would like to attend with us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.