Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since her birth, I have tried wearing dd in a kkacp in the cradle and tummy to tummy holds. She can't stand it! She cries until I take her out. She protested the baby bjorn as well. She loves to be held in arms, of course.<br><br>
Since I have basically no experience with babywearing, I am hoping that somebody may have suggestions for me. I'm not ready to give up yet!<br><br>
Could it be the type of carrier? Should I try something stretchier? Could it be a phase? She doesn't like to be swaddled, so I'm wondering if it's the constriction. Oh, I don't know!<br><br>
Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It could be a phase. The fact that she doesn't like being swaddled makes it sound like she may just resist feeling confined. In the cradle hold, try holding the side of her body very upright against you, with her legs out so she's in kind of an L-shap sitting position, and lower her in. This will help her "sit up" and see out. She will be sitting on her bottom in the pouch instead of lying down in it.<br><br>
Also, try putting her in only when you can really get moving, like to take a quick walk or at the mall or grocery store. babies sometimes take time getting used to being slung, and they prefer moving to standing still, and having visual distractions can help.<br><br>
Don't give up! Even if she doesn't like it now, she will most likely get used to it at some point. And as she gets bigger and has more position options, you are sure to find one that works.<br><br>
Lastly, I wouldn't go crazy buying every sling anyone suggests. However, an unpadded ring sling might give you a bit more versatility than the pouch, since it can be adjusted so much more, and the edges can be adjusted independently of each other. HTH!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't really have a specific answer for you, but I just want to encourage you to keep trying to wear your DD with your carriers. It sounds like you have tried the different positions that would work for your DD's age. Also, you tried the pouch which keeps her feet and legs enclosed and the Bjorn which keeps her feet and legs free. It's difficult to say if she would prefer another carrier, say a stretchy wrap like a Hug-a-Bub or a Moby, but I know that my DS prefers some carriers and positions over others. He has never tolerated the cradle hold at all.<br><br>
I think that you should continue to work with the carriers that you have as I would hate for you to purchase another carrier and get frustrated. Maybe some of these suggestions will help. Try the pouch again right after your DD has slept and ate. Even while you are getting your DD in the pouch, bounce or sway to try to keep her content. After you get her in, immediately start walking. Keep trying this several times a day, every day. Hopefully, she'll eventually love it. Don't give up, especially if you have a DD who wants or needs to be held. It makes life so much easier when you can still go about your daily business and still be close to your DD.<br><br>
HTH,<br>
Tereasa

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I might suggest a walk immediately after putting her in - even around the block - with patting and bouncing. There may be a break-in period.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I am definitely going to keep at it. Whenever I'm trying to do something one handed in the kitchen while holding on to her with the other, I wistfully think of how wonderful it would be to wear her and have both hands free. That's my goal! I guess I was just naive and expected her to love it from the start.<br>
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
If I were you i'd try fleece. I have a one month old baby and from day one he LOVE our fleece pouch. It's so snuggly. He doesn't love any of our cotton slings just yet. I have a fleece hotsling and it's just great but if you want adjustable get a KKAFP. I don't mind it not being adjustable but I may when he gets bigger. Never know. Scratch that, it's too big to nurse in so i'd like to be able to adjust it a tad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts