Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my latest toy philosophy. I had to spread the word to family b/c I was worried that the toy epidemic would get crazy. We celebrate 2 christmases (Dec 25 and the orthodox X-mas on Jan 7). The gift exchange was for the 25th and both dd's got some nice things. Not too many toys. But, IL's want to do gift exchange for Jan 7 too. I think that is too much. It takes away from the spirit of the holiday to constantly focus on the gifts, KWIM? So, I informed them that the rule in our house is that for every toy that comes into the house, one of equal value must leave. I could practically hear the GASP when I told SIL (who is into fulfilling the "wish list" of toys every year for her kids)
For my mom, I had to clarify that "LEave" doesn't mean that it goes to the basement.
: IT means, Adios, Goodbye, Bon Voyage! It finds another home.

We don't have a huge toy issue, but I can see it heading that way with family if I don't set some limits. Dd is only 3 and up till now, I've done a decent job weeding out toys and giving the surplus to salvation army, etc. There just isn't a great need for all these toys, especially when she doesn't play with them. I would much rather see her doing an art project, reading a book or using her imagination than relying on cheap plastic anyway. Just thought I'd share this CRAZY idea with you!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We do similar things. It's not necessarily toy for toy, but two to three times a year I go through and weed out all of the excess toys. Anything Ds doesn't play with, or is broken or junky. I keep good educational stuff like puppets and wooden toys, and things I think he may grow back into later. For Christmas this year Ds got mostly books (coloring books, workbooks, and books for his leap pad) and Dh and I got him an art and activity desk for his bedroom (he has been wanting one since he was just 1 yr old). He did get some toys from the IL's, but not too many. I am pretty excited about it. I think it is a great way to keep the toys from taking over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.