Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were gifted a nie bike trailer, and we went out and purchased a helmet which says it fits a one year old, and it does. My dh went out with dd and had a blast, but when I arrived home, dh told me she was really bothered wearing the helmet, she would cry and scream, he said that the back helmet hits the wall of the trailer and pushes the helmet over her eyes.

Any experienced folks out there with some recommendations on riding with babe in trailer, what type of helmet? What works for you and your family?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Maybe she's a bit small for the helmet? Perhaps it will work better when she's a bit bigger? Or possibly the helmet isn't adjusted properly. It shouldn't fall down over her eyes if it fits right.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
did the helmet come with extra pads with sticky glue on the back of them? We all got new helmets last Christmas and they had a sheet of pads/cushions in them that could be stuck to the existing cushions or elsewhere on the helmet to adjust the fit.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Our trailer has a pillow that can be removed. If its there it pushes ds's head uncomfortably forward.
She might need a different brand of helmet that fits her better. Or extra padding. Or adjust the strap.
Or maybe she just doesn't like the helmet? You could play a helmet game where all members of the family wear a helmet in the house and do something fun.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
We found our dd couldn't ride in the bike trailer until she was closer to 18 months, for the same reason - the helmet was too big to allow her to lean back properly, even though it seemed to fit like it should. I wasn't able to find a smaller helmet locally, but I didn't try that hard, we just waited until she grew. Now it's not a problem, but I am not really bike riding these days!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree that the helmet might be a little large. When my son was little, his helmet did the same thing, and it would infuriate him (understandably) and he would scream. He was a little bit younger, though--it started fitting him well around 8 months or so.
We use the same helmet on my daughter--who is now 10 months--and it fits her perfectly, and she couldn't be happier to wear it and ride around.
I agree--you should try the pads that come with the helmet, if you haven't already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.