Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd hurt her arm in some way yesterday, we aren't sure how, we didn't see her fall and we were right there, but she started crying and was on the floor so we assume she tripped.<br><br>
She's 22 months. She was favoring the arm all day and cried if we moved it much. We took her to the doctors which was traumatic for her. He said wait until morning and see.<br><br>
I gave her motrin and rubbed arnica cream on it and she slept fine for 12 hours. This morning it doesn't seem as tender, but she won't use her arm. I cancelled x rays because it seems silly to put her through more trauma and then have them tell me it's broken and there is really no treatment for it anyway.<br><br>
The doctor said they wouldn't even put her in a sling. So my question is did I do the right thing by not x raying it. Is there anything additional I should be giving her? Extra calcium maybe? Thanks, Corrie

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For me, I think I'd like the x-ray just to be sure that the cause was or was not a break. If it's not a clean break, I think that it could potentially require surgery....<br><br>
But as far as treatment for a broken clavicle, my niece fell off of a bed when she was around 2 and broke her clavicle. They did x-rays and it was a clean break so all they did was put her in a sling, which she hated and would not wear. She instinctively learned not to use that arm for a few weeks though, and we could tell when it was not hurting by how much she would use that arm. She recovered nicely as far as I know and there's no sign of any injury now 3 years later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts