Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby girl turned 1 today, which doesn't really seem possible, especially since she's my last baby. I'm wondering if any other mamas feel like their 1 year olds don't nurse enough. She's so distractable now, that anything interrupts her. On weekdays, she's in daycare during the day and she drinks 10-12 oz of ebm in a sippy, plus nurses about 4 times when I'm home (morning, evening, and usually twice in the night) On weekends, I have a hard time getting her to nurse through the day. She's just so busy! She almost never asks to nurse during the day, and I offer throughout the day. Usually she nurses just a couple minutes, than is ready to take off again. She doesn't drink any other milk but mine, and only a little water once in a while, so I want to be sure she gets enough liquid. Also, my older 3 weaned earlier than I'd like, so I want to encourage her to continue to comfort nurse. Her first nursing in the morning, and last at night are nice leisurely ones, and she does still nurse 1-2 times in the night, it's just during the day that she's so darn busy.<br>
Any other mamas of 1 year olds with brilliant ideas on chasing down a wiggly little nursling?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi doctorjen! No advice here, it sounds like we are in very similar boats with our wiggly curious 1-year-olds.<br><br>
In terms of nutrition, in the various childcare books I have seem to agree that 2-4 full breastfeedings a day constitute sufficient milk intake for this age (I'd try to find the sources, but doing so might wake a sleeping baby...).<br><br>
I think about water intake too, especially now that it's summer. I'm just trying to offer water or cooled diluted herbal tea often, and in different kinds of cups. Straws work really well for us.<br><br>
Happy birthday to your little one!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We are still nursing a bit more than that. she nurses for about 5-10 min in the am (she has always been super super quick) around 6, before her 9 nap, 11:30 (not mch), 2, 5:30 (not much), and bedtime at 7. Oh, and once at night. I can see the lunch and dinner sessions getting shorter and shorter. we nurse in her room otherwise she is too distracted.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I posted last night, the girl woke up to nurse like 5 times last night. I guess she was trying to tell me she gets enough! She is just so busy in the day time, now. Right now she is lying in my arms twirling my hair and nursing to sleep. I guess I'll just keep offering during the day and be happy if she nurses for just a few minutes! I'm just really not ready to leave babyhood behind this time. Unfortunately, my girl apparently has a different plan. Yesterday one of the times I picked her up and offered to nurse, she shook her head no at me and laughed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts