Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had DS2's lip tie and posterior tongue tie cut today with a laser. It was awful and I wasn't even in the room. He's been crying most of the afternoon and evening so I just really hope the soreness goes away quickly. I also hope we can all get a good night sleep.
@funfunkyfantastic I was thinking about you today. Have you thought about having it checked by a dentist? The doctor was saw was a pediatric dentist and he was amazing. I didn't even realize DS2 had a posterior tongue tie as well until he pointed it out. Maybe you could find one in your area who will look at it?

I had my postpartum checkup yesterday and got the "all clear" but I'm not sure I'm ready. I know DH is anxious and he'll be patient but it took so long for me to heal from DS1 that I'm just in no hurry at all.

My biggest challenge is handling a newborn and a toddler at the same time. It's a lot more work than I anticipated and the level of craziness is not just doubled, it's tripled or quadrupled I think. It doesn't help that DH and I work opposite schedules so I'm usually home all afternoon and evening by myself. We'll get things straightened out, although probably not as quickly as I'd like!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@clar5108 I actually tracked down a pediatric dentist that evaluates and does the laser on them after she was initially diagnosed by the lactation consultant. He looked and said that neither appeared to be enough of a problem for him to want to release them. So he wouldn't do anything. I went back to the lactation clinic after that to have it re-evaluated and then released. Only the tongue tie was released and unfortunately didn't do much of anything for us. I've just been using a nipple shield for now to help her nurse without gulping so much air. She rarely clicks with the shield and spits up less often. I've tried going back to just nursing without to see how her latch was. It wasn't any better than before, but no worse either, just lots of air swallowing and clicking. So we'll stay on the shield till something changes. Obviously she's not forgetting to latch on by using it, so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I thought I'd check in as its been so long, and I've been wondering how everyone has been doing.

I can't believe that my baby boys are 3 months old now. They were both over 8 pounds at birth, and they are over 15 pounds now. It is a lot of baby work-out in a day. They are now exclusively breastfed, but we had a hard time getting there. Now we are going to work on improving sleep, which is still hard because a waking at night takes awhile, usually an hour. Also, we are starting to get a more regular pattern of naps in the day. How are others doing with naps? Our challenge is naps that our too short, but the good thing is that they are starting to be more predictable. I am a bit sad to say that we have not put a single cloth diaper on our babies =( I am finding life with 4 kids takes all of my energy and cloth diapers have felt too onerous this time around.

I would love to hear any updates =)

·
Registered
286 Posts
We're doing cloth part time with DD2 and doing toilet learning with DD1 part time.

DD1 has a pretty regular schedule: two morning naps an hourish each usually, a long afternoon nap and two evening naps before bedtime at 8-9ish and ale ups 2-3 times to nurse (no crying, just fussing til I help her find the nipple) before wake for the day at 8-8:30am.

DD2 is a strong nurser. She clicks with her latch but only when I have OALD her tongue points at the tip more and is less heart shaped so I think her tongue tie is much better than DD1's was.

Honestly my 31 month old and my 2.5 month old are not as hard as I expected them to be while pregnant. But dD1 is wanting to role play baby and stuff like that which indicates her need to process having a baby around. I have PPD though it is waaaaay better than it was the first time and I can talk about it and talk about specific things that are triggering it so that is helpful in dealing.

DH and I have been having sex since 6 or 7 weeks pp, and we fooled around about two weeks prior. I feel pretty good though I felt like my stretch/skid mark took longer to heal than my tear from DD1 did. It's honestly been okay. I've had ups and downs due to hormones but DH has been gentle and physically I've been okay. Getting in the mood and KEEPING the mood going can be tough though.

I am enjoying newborn cuddles and enjoying DD1's love for her sister and how having another enriches our lives. We have no plans set in stone but talk about a third baby in the future from time to time. Ideally I would think DD2 will be at least 18 months before we actively try for another. We are using FAM/NFP as usual for bc now. It's worked for 13 years for us so far so I think we'll be okay.

DD2 is just lovely, such a happy baby and so mellow. She is trying SO hard to roll over back to belly this week (she rolled belly to back several times starting two weeks ago) and she gave is the first of several belly laughs last week. She's a lovely baby.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@SplashingPuddle it's so nice to hear from you and I'm glad that things have been getting better! Naps are an issue around here too but we're getting better. It seems like DS2 has a hard time napping with all the hustle and bustle of his older toddler brother running around. I transitioned him into the pack n' play by our bed and he is doing better, I think because he has more room to stretch out. You are doing amazing though!
@sidrajedi it's great to hear from you as well! It sounds like nursing is going well for everyone. I have a good oversupply so I've been donating to another mom in my area. I hope to keep it going for her. I hear you on getting in the mood though... DH and I finally did the deed a few days ago. I told him I was in the mood so he better take advantage of it!

We talk about a third baby here and there. I think I'm more for it than DH but we both would absolutely love to have a girl. I come from a big family though and I just love the idea of big family gatherings and lots of little ones running around... We'll see I guess :) I think it'll be at least another 2-3 years before we start trying.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I often think about having a fifth baby, but my partner is opposed. I am wondering if that will shift once we are out of the babies phase. Since I am 36 years old, I would prefer to try sooner rather than later. We have two girls and now two boys, but wow did I have a lot less nausea with the boys than the girls, so I'd be routing for a boy if we tried again.

Sidrajeti- it is interesting to hear how many naps you have in a day - I was feeling like we had too many, since we have at least 5-6 and they are anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours (usually 45 minutes)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Leila turned 3 months today, so I thought of this forum and how you all helped me get through pregnancy. Looking back, pregnancy feels really simple compared to everything after!

She is sleeping so well at night! 6 hours and then another 2,3,or 4 hours...so I only wake up once at night. She is very active and awake during the day, takes about 4 to 6 naps during the day.

She growing well. Eating lots. Finally she's exclusively breastfeeding. Took a while to get the supply right. Lots of lactation tea and nonalcoholic beer. Also, the nipples are healed and I feel much more confident!

She is very smiley and happy, but also loud and dramatic. She can switch moods very quickly, which is very much like my husband and his mother. :)

We talk about a possible second kid...but not for a while!

I'm glad to hear you are all doing well. <3

·
Registered
286 Posts
@splashing puddle DD2 is pretty much still napping like that only not so much in the evening every day. She's very talkative and alert when awake too so I'm not worried about her sleeping too much.

@zzzzzzane I am glad nursing is going well for you now! How exciting!

This TMI post is what I am going through right now. http://www.mothering.com/forum/index.php#/forumsite/20454/topics/1539202?page=1

And other than that everything around here is pretty much normal. I stared a schedule and that has helped with PPD. I also started regular acupuncture this weekend so that should help too. DD1 is no longer napping at all but has an earlier bedtime and it's been nice for DH and I to have time together and to ourselves. Everything is pretty routine and normal now. It's almost eerie. It's almost like DD2 was always here. :smiley:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I almost forgot!

@clar that is so awesome that you are sharing your milk! That's really above and beyond for a fellow mom!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
@SplashingPuddle I'm right there with you when it comes to diapering. I CANNOT keep up with the laundry. DD2 is even more of a heavy spitter than DD1 was, so Laundry is a big issue. I have a stacking w/d so loads are small. I find disposable diapers much more convenient. Plus those wetness indicators are handy!
@sidrajedi I have ppd too. I'm on welbutrin. I've been on it before. It makes me feel normal, more alert, and ups my libido too. DH is terrified if getting me pregnant again though, so it's been a lot of pull out game till I can get my tubes tied. DH absolutely doesn't want another child. I do, but once he has his mind set he doesn't go back on it. That and there being literally zero other reliable options that work for me kinda makes it difficult. Can't do anything hormonal and the only other thing that isn't that's really reliable is the paragard and that caused issues for me too both times I used it! I'd prefer something less permanent, but as there are no other options and I can't afford to get pregnant and ruin our relationship (he wasn't too happy about this pregnancy but loves dd2) I kinda have to get my tubes tied. At least I won't have to do the agony of pregnancy again. Pregnancy was very painful for me both times. And the births were also very painful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts