Mothering Forum banner

Online Bill Paying

709 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  greenegirl 
#1 ·
I'm been moving over slowly to paying my bills online, and this month I think we'll finally have most everything done electronically that can be done that way.

I am thinking this will save on the water bill 'mixups' we've been having (late charges when I've mailed the payment 10 days or more before the duedate).

Does anyone else utilize online bill paying? Drawbacks or all good?

#3 ·
I do all of my banking online with Chase. Statements, bill pay, the works. I LOVE it. Everything is paid on time and it's easy to juggle $$ between savings & checking
. When you schedule a payment some things take only a day to be paid and some things take 5 days but I find it's usually just 2. Since I've started doing it all online I find I am WAY more on top of things. (If you choose to get electronic bank statements be sure to print them out as the bank only stores them for 6 months. I generally hold on to mine with other financial records for 7 years.) I schedule recurring payments for things that have a constant amount but mostly just enter payments each month. In short:
It's all good!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2
We have done on line bill pay for a couple years. LOVE IT. We have only a couple reoccuring bills set up, and we feed in exact amounts for the other ones. So convenient and we save both the cost of checks AND postage.
This is what we're doing...the ones with set amounts (gas and car payment) are automatically deducted, the rest I'll do manually.

Thanks!

#6 ·
After a major mailing mistake (read ALL the month's bills were lost in the mail
: ) we switched to online payments and it was such a great decision!

We use Commerce Bank and ING Direct for savings and it's a cinch to pay bills (you can even pay individual people), move money from checking to savings, set up automatic deductions, etc.

We highly recommend it!!

#7 ·
Same here, we do all of it, but some one way, and some another. The static bills (house payment, cell phone, dsl bill) are all autopaid x amt on x day each month.

I get emails when the bank gets an ebill from any of the cc companies, and the utilities. I can set the amt. for each of those, and change the date if needed.

I also get emails if the acct attached to dh's debit card drops below a specific amount.

#8 ·
I pay everything through bill pay at my bank's online account access. I love it for so many reasons, the main one being that the money comes out of my account that day and I don't have to balance anything! It takes about 2 days for it to post on whatever account I'm paying so fast too! I check my bank account everyday and I bet we only write 10 checks a year, everything else is electronic!

#9 ·
Glad to hear the experiences. I'm going to set up a couple bills today with online bill pay. I've been paying my credit cards online for a bit. I will be happy to save a couple bucks a month on postage. Every little bit helps, right?

#10 ·
I've been using it for several years and really like it. The only bill I pay by check is the rent, so I can get a receipt.

One thing I like is that I can schedule the payment as soon as the bill comes in, that way I don't misplace the bill. Bill comes on the 8th and isn't due until the 24th? I'll go ahead and schedule the payment for the first business day after the 15th (payday, twice a month) then file the bill. My bills are paid on time, no postage costs and less mail laying around on the coffee table.

#12 ·
I pay everything online except rent. Power, phone, satellite, car insurance, etc all gets paid. I can pay on payday and the bill is paid, over and done with. No lost checks, wasted gas going in, etc. Never had a problem.

#13 ·
I pay everything online. The only check I write regularly is my tithe check and I could probably pay that online also.

I only started using the online bill pay from my bank (Washington Mutual) about 3 or 4 months ago. As a result, several of my bills are set up with the company to be deducted. I set up my mortgage payments through the mortgage company, which I prefer to doing through my bank because I have the payment set for the 1st of the month. On that date, the mortgage company initiates the request for the funds from my bank. Sometimes the money is not actually deducted from my account until the 5th or later if the 1st falls on a weekend, but my payment is still credited as of the first.

The cable bill is deducted automatically as set up through the cable company. The electric company sends me my bill by e-mail, and then I initiate payment through their website for payment on the due date. Through my bank, I automatically generate a $100 check to my mom each month (this money gets sent to my grandparents. Several family members send the money to my mom and she sends one check to the grandparents. This way, GPs don't know who gives them money or how much each individual gives or have to deal with several different checks arriving at different times or have to worry if one check is late. My mom generates a check for the same total each month and keeps track of everyone else's contributions, so GPs can plan on a certain amount and date). Through my bank account I also pay the cell phone, water bills, car insurance, etc -- basically anything that doesn't let me pay through their own website.

I LOVE online bill pay for many of the reasons already stated. It is quick and convenient, you don't have to worry about delivery times and stamps, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.