Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
War is sad enough without this kind of crap. Whoever allowed their children to do this are doing a real Chillul Hashem (making G-d and the Jewish People look bad to the world as a whole.)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i don't blame the kids, even though they look old enough to have known better. i mean they are not 5-6yo, they look like they are 10-12yo.
i think in most cases though, children are innocent and only replicate what they have been taught by adults. i blame the stupid parents that spread and allow this hatred to go on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamelia
i don't blame the kids, even though they look old enough to have known better. i mean they are not 5-6yo, they look like they are 10-12yo.
i think in most cases though, children are innocent and only replicate what they have been taught by adults. i blame the stupid parents that spread and allow this hatred to go on.

ITA!

I cannot believe that any parent would allow their children to sign ammunition
I am saddened by the fact that this photo is for real.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Wow. That's pretty scary.

Then again, I have no idea what it's like to grow up with terrorism (aside from 9/11) in my back yard, and to have people countries that border mine HATE me because of my race/religion.

So I can't really say anything bad about these kids or their parents.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy
I have no idea what it's like to grow up with terrorism (aside from 9/11) in my back yard, and to have people countries that border mine HATE me because of my race/religion.

So I can't really say anything bad about these kids or their parents.
Yes, but it's not like Israel is Palestine's or Lebanon's blameless victim. So if you want to say something bad about their parents, well, go right ahead. If not, I'll say it. Their parents are jerks. How dare they. How effing DARE they teach their children that violence and hatred is okay? How the f dare they? I was disgusted by those photos. I saw them on someone's LJ next to photos of the result of these missiles. The photos showed dead blown up BODY PARTS of a 4 or 5 year old. His head blown off. A leg blown off. Lying there, dead on the ground. Gone. And this is thanks to the very missiles that those kids were decorating.

If you've ever seen a small child with part of his head missing, you'll understand why I say how dare they.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I hate to sound like a broken record but you all must see

Why We Fight

If you click on the link it gives a good preview.

In the film they highlight a retired NY police officer whose son was killed on 9/11. He tells the story about how he believed Bush when he said that Iraq was involved in 9/11. To honor his son, he writes the military and begs them to let him put his son's name on a missile that will be going to Iraq. Someone agrees to this and this missile does go to Iraq and he gets a follow up report on it....he then talks about how upset he was to find out that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, that he was lied to by GWB, and how he allowed his son's name to go on a missile that surely killed civilians.

Very sad.

Astounding factoid from that film - the US has 725 military bases in 130 foreign countries

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boston
Yes, but it's not like Israel is Palestine's or Lebanon's blameless victim.
You're right. I hope you didn't think I was implying that.

The parents, yes--how dare they. (do we know for sure that they knew about this? I know I could have been photo'ed doing some messed up, rebelious things when I was a pre-teen/teen that my parents had no idea about).

But I can't find it in me to blame the children. At the age they appear, things tend to be black and white. XYZ's killed their uncle, their sister, and blew up their school. XYZ's need to be eliminated. VERY simplistic thinking, but they're not scholars, they're kids. [ETA--see deirdre's example of the name on the weapon]

I hope you don't think I'm condoning any of this....

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boston
Yes, but it's not like Israel is Palestine's or Lebanon's blameless victim. So if you want to say something bad about their parents, well, go right ahead. If not, I'll say it. Their parents are jerks. How dare they. How effing DARE they teach their children that violence and hatred is okay? How the f dare they? I was disgusted by those photos. I saw them on someone's LJ next to photos of the result of these missiles. The photos showed dead blown up BODY PARTS of a 4 or 5 year old. His head blown off. A leg blown off. Lying there, dead on the ground. Gone. And this is thanks to the very missiles that those kids were decorating.

If you've ever seen a small child with part of his head missing, you'll understand why I say how dare they.
Yeah, I know what you mean.....

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays...ide_hizballah/
http://www.ananova.com/images/web/36068.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1446003.stm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hmm, maybe they learned it from us.

I remember reading in Harper's a few years ago how US bombs intended for targets in Iraq had writing on them, memorializing 9/11 victims or telling off Al-Quaida. I wish I could find the article now...it was a very formal, institutionalized process - they published the emails within the air force on the process to get it done.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The kids were militirized the minute their homes were hit by rockets and/ or shrapnel from Lebanon. I can't imagine doing what those parents did, but I also have not had my home rocketted constantly for years. War sucks. I think the rockets being sent anywhere should be of way more concern to everyone than some kids drawing.
boston- would it change your judgemental opinion if the kids drawing on the missles was a result of them having seen body parts and dead people? I was not "lucky enough" to witness any actual body parts, nor my kids but my students did. I saw them hours later as we shared a bomb shelter. No, I would not judge them if they wrote on a rocket- from eith side.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Quote:
I remember reading in Harper's a few years ago how US bombs intended for targets in Iraq had writing on them, memorializing 9/11 victims or telling off Al-Quaida.
Writing on bombs is something that's been done since at least WWI, but IIRC it's only done by military members, not by children. Big difference, IMO...

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrzmeg
Writing on bombs is something that's been done since at least WWI, but IIRC it's only done by military members, not by children. Big difference, IMO...
Scary. The difference (I thought) in the Harper's piece is that it was civilian members of the public requesting special slogans to be placed onto the bombs by Air Force personnel. The email chain showed how a dad of a civilian 9/11 victim in Colorado had emailed the AF asking for his son's name to be written on there, and something about payback.

Sort of messed up, seeing as Iraqis had nothing to do with 9/11.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
RD and BB,
Do you seriously think anyone who's outraged at this is not equally outraged by Hezbollah(sp?) or Palestinians doing similar things?

For myself, I object to anyone involving children in war. Israelis, Palestinians, Lebanese(?), Americans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts