Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking for awhile of studying Early Childhood Education and I found a school online I can afford and I was thinking of enrolling now, but then I thoght, hey Im having a baby next month. Maybe I should wait a bit, but Im kinda impulsive and I need to do things when I feel like doing them or I dont do them at all.

Do you think I would be able to keep up with the work, since it's online and I can kinda do it in my own time once the baby is here?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Have you done online classes before? Honestly from my experience I would not sign up for a full course load of online classes. The ones I've taken in the past have frustrated me to no end. Not that the material was hard but just the way the classes are formatted. Mine was VERY time consuming and I felt like I didn't learn anything by the end of the course. I've seen several other people make the same complaint about online classes. If you really want to do it I'd try out maybe one or two just to see how they go with the little one first.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Have you done online classes before? Honestly from my experience I would not sign up for a full course load of online classes. The ones I've taken in the past have frustrated me to no end. Not that the material was hard but just the way the classes are formatted. Mine was VERY time consuming and I felt like I didn't learn anything by the end of the course. I've seen several other people make the same complaint about online classes. If you really want to do it I'd try out maybe one or two just to see how they go with the little one first.
I've taken one before, but that was awhile back and I was kinda whatever about it, but I did learn a bit.

I think they give me a period of time that I can withdraw and they refund all or most of the money. So maybe I can start, check it out and see if it works for me.

I just dont think I can enroll for just a couple of courses, Im gonna see and maybe look into more schools.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I got my degree partially online. The good part is that you can work when you want to....but if you're a procrastinator, its really bad because there's not much to keep you on track. If you're a pretty good self-starter I think you could do it with a new baby. Of course it really depends on the baby's temperament.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I did part of my Master's program online. Honestly it can be pretty demanding! Surprisingly so, actually. I personally wouldn't consider taking classes again until the baby comes and I know that I'll be able to balance the schedule. At the school I went to, you still had deadlines to meet several times a week, and you had to work with other people online for "group" projects, so it actually took a lot of time.

I had a pretty demanding schedule though - it was an MBA program done in 15 months, so I'd say if you could take a lighter schedule than go for it. My advice would be to start with one class and see how much time it takes out of your day/week. Or postpone starting until after you've had the baby?

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I'm getting my degree through online classes and it is not easy in any way, except I don't have to leave my kid(s) and travel to school. I still have lectures I have to listen to every week, mutiple chapters in my textbooks to read, MORE papers and required weekly postings and class interaction, weekly tests and quizzes, etc. But I like it so much more since I can do it at 10pm at night if I have to. That said, my current semester ends on May 5th, and I am taking at least the first summer semester off. The Summer II semester starts in July and I'll reevaluate in June to see if I can handle it yet. If I'm too overwhelmed at the time because of the baby, I'll go back in September.

Could you just apply and get set up to start in September? Most college courses begin late August/September, and it would give you time to settle in with the baby and get a routine going.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am taking 13 credits of online courses, as well as working full-time. I would not have been able to return to college if not for online learning options. I will have a Paralegal degree from a Tech school in Minnesota, where I live, an accredited program. There are some excellent online learning options out there. The key is time management. My school time is from 8-midnight six days a week, and on the seventh day I try to work for a few hours a day as well. Now granted, I am taking a pretty full load considering I work full time as well, but I do find it is manageable because I can do it when it is convenient for me, not the tother way around. Also, learn to function well on little sleep. I get no more than 4 to 6 hours a night, and mostly it's right around 5. Once a week or so I try to stretch it out to 8, but that is rare. You get used to it after a while.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think the starting in September sounds like a good idea, by then I should have the hang of things. Im a first time mom, even though dss is with us most of the time, but he's a toddler, babies are different

I plan on being a SAHM, so I think maybe online school + kids wont be too much to handle. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've done both. I took several online courses during my Gen Eds prior to entering the dental hygiene program I'm about to graduate from. Some online courses are great, some aren't. I'll have my associates from a completly 'in person" program and most of the courses I had to sit through could have been online courses and let me stay home! Having a baby at home and having to leave her several times a week to attend school has been horriblly stressful for us both. When I pursue my bachelor's it'll be a completly online program. I'd rather do the extra work and be home than be at the beck and call of a program director who thinks their courses should be your only focus in life.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I find online classes to be a much easier option for me. I think of the year I had last year - working 50 hours per week plus college plus two daughters. Now I have online classes, 2 daughters and a 5 month old and it is so much easier! He was born in early November and all of my instructors were prepared and knew to expect him and gave me a little break. (some will, some won't) I find it harder now than when he was newer because then he would sleep in my lap while I did all of my reading and assignments. Now he's much bigger, miuch wigglier, and sleeps much less. I think it is doable. You could even not take a full load so you can try it out to be sure. But I definitely wouldn't try working, college, and new baby. That would be way too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.