Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD will be 10 months on Wednesday and lately it has been hell trying to get her down for her morning nap. She seems really tired but she won't settle. She gets up around 7 am and used to go down between 9:30-10:00 am and nap for 30-60 minutes and then go down again around 1:30 pm and nap 30-60 minutes. It is now 11:06 am and I have still not been able to get her down for her morning nap. She is obviously tired but just seems to excitable to sleep. My first took two naps a day until 21 months! Could she actually be ready for only one nap a day?

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
My dd did not take a nap every day as an infant.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My dd went down to one nap a day at 8 months old. Her normal routine was wake up between 6 and 7:30 (mostly depending on what time daddy woke up) and then go down for nap around 10. She'd nap for an hour and then be up until bedtime (which at that point varied between 9 and 11.)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Alden went down to 1 nap around 9 months. He still has the occasional day where he needs 2 naps, but usually it's just 1. He also goes to bed very early, between 6 and 7 p.m. which could have something to do with it.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
There are many days my dd only has one nap, lasting about an hour, starting around 9 months old. She goes to bed around 10pm and gets up 530am, with several night wakings. She sleeps much less if she is teething. Some kids just need less sleep I guess.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well she ended up napping from 11:00-11:30 and then fell asleep in the car for 15 minutes around 2:30 but that's it. She is upstairs dancing with her brother and sister so I guess she's not overtired. She does go to bed very early, at 6 pm so maybe she doesn't need 2 naps anymore. Bummer!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I *think* my son (just over 10 months) is doing the same thing. He has never napped well anyway unless I am rocking and nursing him the entire time. Now he resists that morning nap like crazy, despite being obviously tired and cranky. I'm hoping this is a phase that he will work through and in a few weeks he'll either go back to napping, or transition out of needing that nap at all. I'm just along for the ride!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My dd is 9 weeks and has always only taken one nap...in the morning about an hour after we get up, so of course I'm not ready to nap myself

This morning she only went down for an hour. She is obviously so tired, but just won't nap! It's so annoying!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My older two just stopped napping in September at almost 4 and 5.5 years old! They were starting to take until 9:30 pm to go to bed so we chose to cut it out. Now they are fast asleep by 7:30 pm. Even now one or the other of them will ask if they can nap but we usually discourage it because we know they will be up really late. I am shocked that she seems to need such little sleep compared to the other two!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
My DD has been taking one nap since about 8 or 9 months. She used to nap at 10am for an hour and at 2 pm for an hour. Now she falls asleep at 11 am or noon (mostly noon now) and sleeps for 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
This frightens me!! I love, love, love nap time.

Right now, we get about 4 naps a day, but some days it's only 3, and I feel like he's trying to switch over to 3 naps.

He sleeps about an hour int he mornings, then a 2 hour nap in the AM, then another 2 hour nap in the afternoon, then a 30 min catnap (the one he's trying to drop), then to bed for the night.

I don't want to think about a 9 or 10 month old giving up naps completely.
:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh golly. I remember when this happened to me. My dd was so mellow, and slept so well for naps that I thought I was going to get a nap for a LONG time.

She stopped with two naps/day at 10 months. I struggled with it but adjusted. At 2.5, she stopped needing naps at all (but she'd still fall asleep in the car if we were out).

I tell ya, giving up that last nap was HARD. I tried to make her nap for a few months of torture until I realized it was ME that needed the nap, not her. So, b/c she was a mellow kid and never got into trouble, I started with Quiet Time where she had to play in her room for 1/2 hr to 45 min while I dozed (and sometimes NAPPED). I made sure she was safe. We had a very small house so I could hear her singing and playing by herself. And life became good again!

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts