Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is now 12 days old. We have had issues on one side since day 1. He prefers my left side and nurses better on that side. After an all night nursing session a couple of days ago I now hear him swallow on the right side but not very much.

I have been offering the right side first at each feed and during the day try to offer it every hour or so but he will not take it unless he is hungry. I am also drinking a nursing tea. I know he is getting enough as his diapers are wet and poopy throughout the day, but is there any way to even out the breasts so we get a good feed on both sides? There shouldn't be a problem with the breast as my daughter nursed both sides for 2 1/2 years.

thanks

tara

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I would think pumping extra on the slow side would stimulate it along with what you are doing offering it first. I would pump as often as I could on that one side maybe every hour if you can find the time. Dosnt really matter how much you can get with the pump it should help stimulate more milk production on that side tho. Also try a different hold on that side that might make him like it better. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Perhaps there is a physical reason he doesn't nurse as efficiently on the one side - maybe trauma to the shoulder during birth? Could get a doctor or chiropractor to check it out.

If all else fails, moms have be known to successfully breastfeed only using one side (it is all supply-and-demand) - although they have noticed some lop-sidedness, it supposedly goes away after weaning.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 2 days of offering first and all night nursing sessions mainly on the non producing side I am now producing enough there to keep him interested (which makes me suspect his non nursing on that side was laziness
).

thanks for the suggestions

tara

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.