Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My baby boy is 13 months old. He used to LOVE baby food. He had an all-organic first year with no treats. His first treat was his birthday cake.

Since then, he will not eat his baby food, gags on table foods and nurses like a newborn, all day. He will then beg for treats when he sees them and is always willing to eat ice creamery delights.

Is breastmilk enough for a 13 month old? Also, is breastmilk enough of a meal to warrant dessert?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Breastmilk is still probably all he needs. I'd not really do much dessert, but that's me.

Babies don't need baby food- if they're ready for solids they can self feed table food.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Oh! I *had* to post. My DS was like this. Only he didn't even taste solid food until he was nearly two. It drove me bonkers. When he did finally relent to try and not spit out a solid food -- it was ice cream!
Anyway, I didn't worry too much. I got a hard time from lots of people, but in hindsight, I think DS was probably just a kid who would have had allergies if he had gone for the solids sooner. He nursed *constantly* -- probably 15-20 times per day until he was maybe two and half. Now, at three and three months, he has cut down to nursing only once or twice per day, plus if he gets hurt. And he does not eat a lot of foods. I still don't worry because he is super healthy, a real buttermilk boy. And I know that there is no food in the UNIVERSE that can compete with the good -- no, perfect nutrition of human milk.

It is hard on mom, more from all the irritating remarks than the worry, but cheer up! You're not alone!

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
have you tried watermelon? dd will eat watermelon even when she's not hungry, just b/c she loves it so much, and my friend's baby (same age) is the same way. it's sort of a trick fruit b/c it tastes like candy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and support
We had a good meal last night and a nice lunch today. I think a lot has to do with when teeth are comming in as well as an inherited sweet-tooth from mommy. We are offering wholesome foods at every meal none-the-less. I am happy to hear that breastfeeding is still the best after the 12 month milestone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts