Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we'll be moving back to NY next year, for a few years at least. I'm originally from northern St. Lawrence County so I'm not very familiar with the Syracuse area.<br><br>
We'll most likely be looking at buying a house, so I'm starting to do research on places to live that are safe, family friendly, have decent resale value, etc. Can anyone give insight on the real estate market there, is it wise to look at buying next year with plans to sell in a few years? What communities are worth looking at?

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
We live in Cicero, which is a good suburban area. I also really like the Manlius/Fayetteville area, and kinda wish we had moved there when we came to NY. We were in a situation where we were moving here from Maryland for work and had a weekend to find a house to rent.<br><br>
What sort of things are you specifically looking for in a neighborhood?

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking in the suburbs but without actually seeing or talking to anyone it's hard to know where to start. Right now where we live is really great and if I could find a similar neighborhood that would be nice. Quiet culd-a-sac, younger families, relatively close to shopping, safe neighborhood. My DH is going to be working at Hancock Field by the airport, so up to a 30 minute or so commute is fine.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you are looking to buy Fayetteville Manlius taxes are HIGH! and from Hancock to F'ville/dewitt is approx 20 minutes but you would have to take thruway (toll road)<br><br>
There are a few nice towns it really depends on your price range as well... Minoa is small. Nice library, park, fairly close to everything.<br><br>
I have lived in Bridgeport all my life which is 15 minutes from Hancock field. It takes about 10 minutes to get to Cicero and 20 to get to the Mall or Wegmans (biggest grocery store with a nice natural food section). We are considered more country but there are housing developments around.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think we're comfortable buying in the 150's but if we REALLY liked a house and it's location we'd go up to 170, I don't mind doing some minor renovations if necessary so location is more important to me. It's really going to depend on projected home appreciation values for the area, I think as long as population growth is good for the area we shouldn't have a problem selling when we have to move again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts