Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out this morning I'm pregnant- holy crap! I had an IUD!!!!

I'm kind of in shock right now. Well, very in shock. I really wasn't expecting to have another baby right now; my oldest if 3.5, the next is 2 and my baby just turned 1 on the 29th!!!! So this is number four.

I can't believe i'm pregnant. I really can't. I'm in shock.

· Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just remembered- I actually had some questions when I posted that first mesage. Can you tell I'm in shock???

My 1 yo still nurses- how can I make sure I keep producing milk? Is it possible? I hear people talking about tandum nursing here all the time, but milk always dried up when I'm pregnant.

I want to have a home birth. I know it's early, but what do I do to start preparing? We are planning on moving to Colorado, though it's not a definite plan, early next year. Can anyone direct me to where I can find a midwife there?

What herbs or vitamins should I be taking? I don't want to take a big old hores pill- I can't swallow them anyway.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I really wasn't expecting this and my brain is mush, plus the shock.

Thanks for the congrats, Selu

· Registered
699 Posts
Where are you moving in Colorado? I have a great MW in Ft. Collins and she is willing to travel quite some distance-I am in Laramie, WY(about 80 miles) and she is coming up for our HB. Let me know if I can pass on a referal for you.
MS

· Registered
6,616 Posts
There isn't really a good way to make sure you keep producing milk, except to keep nursing and hope. Some babies will nurse right through the pregnancy, even if the milk dries up. Some come back when the milk comes in. And some mamas make milk until they make colostrum and then milk again, with no interruption at all.

Have you had success with a prenatal or multivitamin before? You might go back on that. If you haven't found one, there are some liquid vitamins that are easy to get down.

Are you going in to remove the IUD? Just my nosy curiousity here, don't answer if you don't want to.

And finally, CONGRATULATIONS!

· Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gwen's mom: i would like to move to or near Boulder, but we really don't know. My husband graduates this month, then he'll start sending resumes there. I'll let you know if we end near Ft. Collins. Thanks!

Apricot: I don't mind nosy questions- I had the IUD removed this afternoon. Appearantly there is a 60%chance of miscarriage if it's left in- only 25% chance if removed early. I was having cramping-thought I was going to get my period, and when I didn't I took a test- but when my Dr. removed the IUD, the cramping stopped soon after. So, I'm thinking that's probably a possitive sign. There is also a possiblity that it's an eptopic pregnancy. I should know by tomorrow. I'll look for the liquid vitamins. Do you know where I can find them?

Probably should have waited until everything was okayed to post, but I'm too excited!

· Registered
5,019 Posts
Make sure you get PLENTY of rest & PLENTY of calories & PLENTY of water; without those 3 things your milk will probably dry up. With these 3 things, it may dry up anyhow, but maybe not. My milk dried up at 4 months, but ds has kept right on nursing & will probably be jumping for joy when he starts getting milk again. It also helps that your dc is younger & probably will be nursing more often & that will encourage production.

I would do some research on herbal supplements as well. I'm pretty sure lots of oatmeal & some wheat germ would both be safe -- I've been told Chammomile can encourage preterm labor, so you may want to avoid that one -- I believe it's in Mother's Milk tea...

· Registered
5,850 Posts
An alternative to liquid vitamins is taking 2 chewable children's Flintstone vitamins. By taking 2 you are getting enough folic acid.

(And congratulations, busy mama!)

· Registered
5,543 Posts
Yikes! Congratulations to you! What a surprise!

Do you mind me asking what type of IUD you had? I'm curious if it was the plain copper or if you had the hormone-release IUD (Mirena). I have the Mirena and every now and then I wonder if it could happen to me.

· Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wake- it was a copper IUD. The doctor was shocked. She said she's never had any get pregnant on one.

mclisa- that's what I did in previous pregnancies with the chewables. I'll probably just do that again.

Today, the dr also called and told me my hormones were low- which is good because it means there's no tubal pregnancy- but they were so low she said it's either a very early pregnancy or it's a pregnancy that's not going to take. I think I had my period the first weekend in November. Anyone know much about hormone levels? They're going to draw my blood again on Friday.

Crazy as this may seem, since we were trying to prevent pregnancy, I want to be pregnant now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.