Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this....<br><br>
Ds is 4 months old and we just got back from a multi-generational moms & daughters trip. Well, dh and I were so happy to see each other, ds was asleep and I was able to sneak away w/out him waking up, and, well, like two teenagers, "it" just kind of happened. Up until know, we've been faithful condom users and I could just kick myself. If we got pregnant, this baby would be born right around ds's first birthday. My real question.....how likely is it that I am. We're still exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping (so I have no real idea how often he eats at night, but probably every 3 or 4 hours), I haven't had a period yet and the only cvm I've noticed is the same stuff I've had since 4or 5 pp. (I know, tmi!)<br><br>
So, what are your thoughts? Will I be wearing my maternity clothes at ds's b-day party?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think it's really, really unlikely. Here's a very useful page on breastfeeding and fertility:<br><a href="http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html</a>

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
OMG!!! The exact same thing happened to me at the same ime post partum! It was not pregnant and I still have no return of af. It is so unlikely that you are pg. I even had dizziness and morning sickness! Turns out I was just dehydrated! OMGosh was I scared LOL. My SIL is due on dd's due dat and I was thinking htat it would be kind of cool, but not THAT cool!! I'[m sure you're fine, but please do let us know!<br>
Lauren

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The chances of you being pregnant are extremely slim.<br><br>
In the FAM (fertility awareness method) of BC, there is also a little thing called LAM (lactational ammenorhea method). DH and I used it successfully for the first 6 months after DS was born and thereafter have been using FAM. In order to use LAM, you must meet the following three criteria:<br><br>
1) baby must be 6 months or younger<br><br>
2) you must be BFing exclusively<br><br>
3) you must not have resumed your periods<br><br>
It sounds to me as if you meet all three of these criteria quite easily. The chances of you being pg are about the same as if you were on the pill; very, VERY slim. So relax and don't give it another thought.<br><br>
You can find more information about FAM and LAM in Toni Weschler's book, Taking Charge of your Fertility.<br><br>
The best,<br><br>
Em

1 - 4 of 4 Posts