Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a daughter who will be 8 months next week. My mom keeps reminding me that we need to start "disciplining" her early. I know I don't want to use most of the techniques she used on us and that all I've read about GD would be a good fit for us. I need to start reading up so I can explain to her our philosophy. What are you favorite books? I read the sticky, but there are so many to choose from...

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think the best book for very young kids and disciplne I've read so far is Becoming The Parent You Want To Be. The discipline section is great and would probably be very easy to quote and/or paraphrase to your mom in an understandable way

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I like Adventures in Gentle Discipline by Hilary Flower. It has lots of practical advice, including ideas for dealing with extended family members who have different ideas about parenting. This is not a book that tells you what the experts say. Instead it is real life parents saying what has worked for them (HF interviewd 200 parents and this book is the result).

I also like Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive by Daniel Siegel and Mary Hartzell. This is not a GD book per se, but a good book for helping you be a GD parent imo.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My favorites -

Parenting from the Inside Out
Playful Parenting (the one by Lawrence Cohen)
Unconditional Parenting
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk
Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
Hold On To Your Kids

I highly recommend ALL of these books! They are not listed in any particular order, I loved them all.

One that I haven't read yet but have heard good things about is Easy To Love, Difficult To Discipline. I think that's the correct title.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Uhg, I keep getting the "discipline early" thing too....which I understand but good grief my son is 6 months old! He's not going to understand ANYTHING at this stage. Sometime after they turn 1 is when, from what I can tell, they are more developmentally ready for guidence.

I like Dr. Sears' The Discipline Book and Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves...which isn't really a discipline book per se.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Barbara Coloroso -- Kids are Worth It

Is a a good starting place. She deals pretty heavily with the philosophy end of it -- determining why GD is best, etc. There is a lot of practical advice too, but if you want to be able to articulte yourself well and justify your conclusions, this is a useful book.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i agree with the books recs made so far-- easy to love, difficult to discipline by becky bailey is really good. i think all this talk of "disciplining early" comes from the same mindset that believes one can spoil a baby. discipline at its core is teaching, and teaching comes when babies/toddlers are ready to learn. i certainly enforce plenty of boundaries with my 14 mo dd (over and over and over), do lots of redirecting, and focus on keeping her safe. but that's the level she's at. it's hard when they're younger because they get into everything and you find yourself redirecting all the time. but it comes with the territory. :)

also, it's great that you want to explain gd to your mom, but be prepared for her to not understand it (or agree with it), especially if she parented you very differently. one of the hardest things i've had to do as a parent is kind of come out of my shell and tell my parents it's fine if they don't agree with my gd parenting style, but that this is what i've chosen is best for my family and that is that (oh, the boundary-setting! it's good practice for when your kids get older, i guess
)

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen
I think the best book for very young kids and disciplne I've read so far is Becoming The Parent You Want To Be. The discipline section is great and would probably be very easy to quote and/or paraphrase to your mom in an understandable way

That's my fave for this age. There are other great books (The Continuum Concept is one), but if you are looking for concrete advice and ideas for a kid under 5, imo you can't beat Becoming the Parent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.