Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been involved in Music Together since DS was 6 mos. old, and he's always LOVED it. This year (now 5 y.o.), he's in MYC (Sunbeams), and it's really not going well. I had misgivings when it was time to register in the spring, because it sounded too structured, but in the end I decided to try it. I think it IS too structured for DS right now. Although he seems to be very into learning the "theory" stuff, and really catches on to it quickly, it's always a struggle trying to get him to listen to his teacher, and to keep him from leaping around and generally causing a distraction. It's also a keyboard oriented class, and he's said a few times that he doesn't want to play piano, but often wishes he could play the other instruments like they used to do in MT classes. I've pretty much decided to withdraw, but I know DS will be disappointed. So... I was wondering about Kindermusik instead? For his age group, are their classes less "formal" and less piano-focussed? He's a very hands on, figure it out myself kind of kid, not a sit and listen to explanations sort. Would it be worth looking into, or is it the same thing, just different name? Thanks for your opinions!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
You know, he might be too old. You might look into Suzuki piano or violin if you think he'd love to play an instrument. Ask him what he thinks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope...don't think he's too old. This is a class geared toward 5-6 year olds. I just tend to think he's not ready for the more structured class. In the younger classes, the kids were welcome to move around the room and "absorb" the music in a way that suited them. In this class, it's "sit and listen to the teacher explain, and then wait at the piano without touching it until it's your turn." He's always been the kind of kid that wants to do it "how I want to do it," and gets very frustrated if someone tries to show him the "right" way before he's ready to try the "right" way as opposed to "his" way.
: I really just want him to have fun with it, and if he wants to play, he plays, and if he doesn't want to, that's ok too. As I mentioned before, he's said he's not interested in playing the piano. Although I know the piano is a great place to learn about music concepts, I certainly don't want to shove it down his throat! Suzuki teachers are hard to come by around here. The only ones I've found are 1 1/2 hours away and will travel for private lessons. Really not ready for that yet!

So...we will either quit altogether for this year, or if I find that Kindermusik is different (ie: more free?), maybe we'll try that instead. Has anyone had experience with this age group in Kindermusik?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not familiar with the program you are in, but we do Kindermusik. My son is in the 3.5-5 year old class and loves it. I'm sure not all teachers are the same, we are fortunate enough to have a terrific lady and our Kindermusik program is part of the top 50 Kindermusik programs in the country. I do think its less structured than your class seems, but IMO it has just enough structure to strike a good balance. Anyway, I'm a fan and my son loves it. Even at this younger age he is learning to wait his turn during ensemble play, recognize things like codas in a string of music, etc...but he also doesn't realize he is doing so much theory because they make it more about play, imagination, and fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.