Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 37 weeks along with my first, thinking I should probably buy a breast pump to have at home, just in case... not planning on going back to work anytime soon, btw.

Wondering what moms think about buying one in advance? What kind would you get if you weren't going to depend on it a whole lot (ideally!) I have heard that the Avent Isis manual pump is good, seems comparatively affordable. Anyone have experience with this one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I have an Avent and really liked it. I really wanted one of the Medela PISes, but the price was a bit steep, to say the least. But I've been totally happy with the Isis--since ds was 8 months before I went back to teaching, and even then wasn't full time, I think an electric would have been a bit excessive. So for occasional use, I'd say the Avent is a good deal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used the Avent Isis ($50 at Target I think) and it is great for occasional pumping--for a night out, etc. I don't think it would be great if you were heading back to work full time, a bit time consuming if you had to do multiple times per day. Also, I wouldn't buy one in advance (unless you live far from a store)--lots of SAHMs don't even use them. HTH, karen

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
medela electric (single or double). thought of renting hosp. grade? fairly cheap depending on hosp. or med equip rental store.

sorry - kinda have passed out babe in arms - he's tired (thank goodness i'm working on logos for work instead of web coding lol..mouse easier than 1 finger typing coding...
)

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I have an Ameda Purely Yours and have loved it. I pumped all the time with my first and every once in awhile with my second.

I'm a SAHM mom but was happy to have the electric pump. There were times where it was nice to have milk stored for various reasons. I probably didn't need the electic, but it was quick and easy which was nice for when I had my second baby and one running around. Now with #3 on the way, I know I'll appreciate it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I rented a hospital grade electric pump when DD was born because of flat nipples. It helped to draw them out and then I would latch DD on. That may not be an issue for you though. Beyond that I had a hand held Avent Isis, but I rarely used it.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
With my first, I just had the Avent hand pump and that was all I needed for occasional engorgement or pumping to thin out avocado, etc. I had to exclusively pump w/ my 2nd dd after a few months and went w/ the Ameda Purely Yours which I loved. I got that because the rental company at the hospital rented the Ameda Egnell Elite and it uses the same pump kit. Even from just a few years ago, the stores have a much better supply of pumps/pump parts so it's not that hard to get one if you decide you do need/want one after all.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have the Avent Isis, and really have no complaints...we got along great... with dd I was a full time student and did a lot of pumping with the Isis. I have heard many people say it won't work well for working...in my case it work out fine, but I pumped at least 4x a day (long days)....

I think it is a great pump for home use, as in your case...never had any problems with it
A good pump for the price

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I have an Isis and I wasn't that fond of it, but I know alot of people that loved theirs. I have very big boobs and the Isis gave me hickeys on my areolas. After that happened a few times, I got VERY afraid of it!! And I never got more than an ounce or so, no matter how long I tried.

I rented a Medela hospital grade pump here and there as I needed it (for nursing strike, etc) and found it excellent. Got more milk per pumping session, and it was much more comfortable. But I still never developed a stash of pumped milk - I am just not a productive pumper. I am going to rent one just before this baby arrives, so I have it on hand for engorgement in the first few days.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I have a casual use 1 side electric medela that I got off of FSOT here pretty cheap (like $25ish). I've never heard anything but great reviews of medela.

I have used "The First Years" electric double and it SUCKED. It hurt to use and eventually broke even w/ only casual use. I also had another pump that was a hand pump (not electric) and I never did get it to work right. It was definitely not a medela or an isis...maybe a gerber?

In general, I think everyone should have a pump, just in case. I'm a SAHM and we only get a babysitter about 4 times a year, but I still used one last time and will again this time. Those few times that we DO go out, its nice to have a stash already, and if I need a break and want to nap DH doesnt have to wake me to feed the baby. Later on its not such a big deal, but in the first few weeks of constantly being up at night, that afternoon nap is the only thing that kept (most) of my sanity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the Medela mini electric and the Avent Isis Manual. I liked the Avent a lot better, I always got more with it, and usually got a let down. I pumped occasionally, like once a day for awhile, and then once every few days... mainly if I wanted to leave DD with DH for a couple of hours. Plus I liked to have enough for a few bottles in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Funny, I am pumping at work right now! I use an Avent Isis manual, but I also have the avent duo double electric. I LOVE having both a manual and a double-electric. I used the double when I first returned to work and now I just use the manual to pump my ds a bedtime bottle (I work 3-11pm) and keep my supply up. I had an ameda, I did like it, but it is just easier to have all one system. The avent double electric comes with the manual. It is expensive, but IME totally worth it! Very high quality and I get more milk then with the ameda.

BTW...I used my double pump to help augment labor last time around, so I was happy that I had purchased it previously.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MandarijnOrange View Post
I noticed Lansinoh just came out with their own pump. Anyone have experience with that one?
It's the same as the Ameda Purley Yours, which is an excellent pump IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I used the Avent Isis for 2 years while pumping for #1 and then for #2 (and also donating for 6 months in there to a third child). I wore it out, but loved it! It's worked very well for me and I'd recommend it to anyone. Definitely worth the money invested. I used a rented double-electric pump for a few weeks during my second pregnancy to try and stimulate supply and hated it!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I got both the Avent Isis and the Medela Pump in Style before DS was born. I had no particular plans to go back to work or explicit need for pumping, but here's my take on it: If, when baby is born, you NEED to pump all of a sudden, the last thing you want to do is deal with buying a pump (or even renting one). I feel like, whatever the work or caregiver situation, every mom for whom it is economically feasible should get a good double-electric pump. You never know if your child might be born with a slight cleft palate or severe tongue tie or other issue that makes latching on extremely difficult, or if you might have some difficulty with supply, or if baby ends up hospitalized for some reason and you need to establish supply and provide pumped milk to the nursing staff... there are a LOT of potential reasons that having a pump on hand might make the difference between an exclusively-nursed baby and a supplemented baby, even if you're not planning on using other caregivers. (If it's not financially feasible, renting from the hospital is, from what I hear, usually relatively simple... but I liked having that insurance policy.)

That being said... I was really glad I had the pumps because I had MASSIVE oversupply. I really needed to "bleed off" some of the excess for comfort in the beginning! (If you pump before nursing, it's unlikely to make oversupply worse; if you pump after nursing, that will tend to increase supply, or so sayeth our LLL Leaders.) I first unpacked the Isis, because it was less intimidating. And it worked fine, but there were two things that annoyed me about it: (1) I had to watch what I was doing, to know when to pump again; (2) it was a b**** to clean.

Finally I unpacked the PIS, and OMG what a difference. It was more comfortable; I could read or whatever while it did the pumping, and it had FEWER parts to clean! That part I really did not expect.

I haven't used the Isis since I got the PIS out, and I haven't pumped at all in almost 3 years ;-). But I plan to make sure my PIS is all cleaned up and ready to go for the next kid!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.