Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey great mamas,

I'm a life long Minneapolis, MN resident and am looking at potentially moving to Portland with my family next year for graduate school (and because I love Portland!!). We are trying to figure out how feasible of an idea it actually is and have found the issue of health insurance to be a big obstacle. Minnesota has a fantastic state program (which we're on because we're both self-employed and not terribly profitable). We even have a fantastic pediatrician who has always been amazing about our AP decisions.

I was looking through OR health plans and it's like another language to me (we're so spoiled). I looked at what I could get as a student and to cover my whole family (4 of us) it would cost $700 a month. I don't know if that's what y'all are used to, but it's preposterous (and utterly unaffordable) for us.

Help????????

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Oregon changed badly during the years we were gone
: DH and I and the kids were all covered with no problem and now, DH and I can't, and we need birth certs for all the kids before they can get it (new federal law). There's a program to help pay for private health insurance, but you still have to pay the deductibles and be on a very long waiting list
: I was so sad about that when we moved back!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nuts. I was hoping there was some secret holy grail of cheap health insurance.......hmmmm.....we may have to postpone our plan until we take a few more steps up the income ladder. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I lived in St. Paul for 5 years and it's true that nothing compares to the state aid you get in the most socialized state in the country. Oregon did pretty well until about 2002ish when they reformed the Oregon Health Plan and High Risk INsurance Pool. It's a freaking bummer.

For $700 a month you'd be better off getting private insurance through Kaiser for your family.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.