Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you using this instead of the shot? I want to but I am not sure where to buy and what to look for. Can you point me in the right direction??

· Registered
621 Posts
we are also just doing the shot. I know that the oral is available but I don't know where you would find it. Have you picked a pediatrician? Maybe that's a place to start for where to find it.

· Registered
3,150 Posts
My midwives give the same Vitk that it is in the shot orally. I think they adjust the dosage. We are only getting it if there is birth trauma ie extended pushung,moulding or a precipitous birth.

· Registered
863 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
Not doing vit K unless it is medically indicated
Same here, and if we need it we will do an oral that my midwives provide.

· Registered
4,390 Posts
Yeah, I have not given Vit K to my first two babies, and will not give it to this one unless there is a medical indication for it.

From the link KikaKika posted above, this pretty much sums up my thinking on it:

Quote:
The forces of nature are so focused on a successful birth that it just seems unlikely that all babies are deficient in vitamin K. Instead of simply accepting that nature goofed about clotting factors in newborns, I thought about all the ways that interventions at birth interfere with the normal physiological birth process regarding clotting. The most obvious intervention is premature cutting of the umbilical cord; this deprives a newborn of 25% to 40% of the physiological blood volume, and thus 25% to 40% of the physiological clotting factors that nature intended to be present in the newborn's blood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.