Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea where to look for info on this!<br>
Lately I've noticed an orange residue developing in our bathtub where water stands after taking a shower. I've also noticed it in our dog bowl, so I know it's not yucky soap scum or something.<br>
Any ideas what this might be? It's an orange tint that seems to be coating things that have standing water.<br>
We have a community well system that's run vey well, but I'd hate to notice this and have it be something harmful that they don't usually test for. They do all the required testing and add whatever they need to the water, chlorine, etc. (which we filter out when it gets to our home)<br>
I'm at a loss and any input would be great!<br>
Thanks!<br>
Holly

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It's probably rust or dirt. Where I work, the pipes running into our building were galvanized steel (i think) and would eventually turn the toilet bowl and sink a light reddish brown. County came out and replaced something and it seems to help a bit.<br><br>
Growing up in AZ, we had similar problems due to the water being recyled but not filtered enough (or something similar to that, i was little and don't remember very well!).<br><br>
I would contact whoever does your well maintenance and let them know what you're seeing. See if your neighbors are having the same issue. If they aren't then it's probably due to the plumbing in your house rather than the community well.<br><br>
~Julia

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think we have the same thing in our house too... we recently moved to the southeast into a newly built house (so no residual ick from previous inhabitants). I attribute it to something that happens in this region since I've never experienced anywhere else I live.<br><br>
What I see is a pink rim around any standing water... so if we go out of town for a few days so the toilet doesn't get flushed for a few days. Or in the shower, cats' water bowls, where the water clings to the faucets heads, etc. I thought it was some kind of bacteria? I have no idea. And I have wondered about the safety of it.<br><br>
These responses are interesting. I'll be watching to see if anyone else has more ideas. I guess it *could* be iron - although what I see seems too pinkish for that. And our soil here is very red so maybe it is coming from that. But the way it develops over time makes me more inclined to think bacteria.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
yea iron-we have it too-and it turns my blonde hair into a brassy orange color-its nasty, i hate it so much.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
The orange that the OP was talking about is likely iron.<br><br>
The pink that another poster referenced is probably mold.

·
Registered
329 Posts
IN the southeast as well, and we get the pinky orange rings in our standing water. And it's a BEAST to clean!<br><br>
But very oddly it only happens in ONE of our bathrooms. The other toilet gets little black dots if it's not flushed daily. So bizzare......but we have well water so that might explain it...<br><br>
And if it is iron, it might explain why my hemoglobin is ALWAYS in the 13+ range.<br><br>
Steph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts