Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiance with gaining midwifery experianc in Oregon? My new midwife (an RN) did her masters in Oregon (not sure where) in midwifery. I'm just curious if anyone knows about the program. I'm assuming there aren't a ton of schools which offer a MA. Thanks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you're looking to become a CNM you can use the website allnursingschools.com to find schools that offer a MS in midwifery. I think there are around 40 in the US. Not sure about Oregon though. I don't know if they have Canada on that site or not. Good luck!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just more curious about the program itself and what it entails since I'm getting a ton of questions from family and friends about my midwife's credentials . She's on vacation for a few more weeks so I can't ask her directly!

Thanks to everyone for their responses, you have taken up such a wonderful calling! I am considering becoming a doula someday..I'm so birth obsessed!

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Here's the homepage for the CNM program:

http://www.ohsu.edu/son/academic/ms-nmw.shtml

FWIW that school/hospital is considered fairly prestigious around here, and the CNMs who teach there are well-respected in the community. I hope that helps with your family's concerns, although I speak only as a local who has birthed, not as any kind of expert on credentials.

Good luck with your doula dream!

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
OHSU's nurse-midwifery program is one of the top ones in the country, according to any nursing school guide in this country. It is a very competitive program and has been reviewed very highly by assessors of nursing schools. If you are getting lots of questions about your midwife's credentials, just tell them she went to one of the top nursing schools in the country to complete her advanced midwifery training and mention the name. You might consider telling anyone who asks further questions to do their own research since offering them more info could lead them to believe you have to defend your choice of midwife and that this choice is up for discussion when it is not at all any of their business.

As far as I know, OHSU is the only school in Oregon offering a master's in nurse-midwifery training.

~claudia

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much! I'm actually not being dragged over the coals as bad as I thought I would be over my choice to homebirth. Family are more curious then anything. I'm so excited that I really can't keep my mouth shut about it!

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Arwyn are you going to school here? I might bend your ear about it later if you are.

(Is that the right expression? Gah, it sounds so weird it doesn't seem like a real idiom.
)

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Actually, I WOULD be gearing up to apply to Birthingway for the 2007 school year, but, well, I'm gonna be busy with other things when school starts this March.

08, here I come! Unless I give in to the lure of the wild and start AAMI before then.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
AAMI?

I want to apply to Birthingway when my little one is older. I've heard it's pretty hard to get in, though, so I am thinking of taking a long, slow approach and beefing up my resume a little bit as I go.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
AAMI

When I was talking to one of the administrators at Birthingway, she said last year they got 25 applicants, and accepted 14/15. That's over/around 50% acceptance, which isn't too bad.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Oh yeah, that isn't too bad at all. Maybe we'll be there at the same time, though I want to wait until the little one is at least three or four before I apply so probably not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts