Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My family and I are moving to Oregon and I'm desperately seeking help figuring out where to choose to live.
I'll just lay it all on the table and see if anyone has input??
My husband and I are both military brats who moved quite a bit, he's currently serving in the military right now but getting out soon. We really want to give our kids a forever home, a place to call home. So we want to choose an area before we get there.
We are looking around the Eugene area.

We are Evangelical Christians. We are conservative libertarians. We are granola/crunchy. I do a parent led version of unschooling. We are in love with the greenery and rain. We don't want to live in suburbia or downtown but we don't want to live 45 minutes to the nearest grocery store like we currently do. I love Eugene. It feels like home to me (the few weekend visits I've had).
I'm so afraid that we won't fit in. It's been hard to fit in especially always living in suburban neighborhoods and military bases.
I'm too crunchy for mainstream groups, not hippie enough for the hippie groups. My relationship with Jesus is important to me, but I'm not legalistic enough for the extreme conservative Christians. I unschool but I'm too involved and too controlling for the free range/unschooling types. And the worst part is I could love all these groups, I don't need you to be just like me. But the people in these groups are usually the ones deciding I'm not enough like them.
I want to find a community that has a good balance of conservative/liberal. A community choose enough to drive to middle of Eugene within 20-30mins. I want to find homeschooled kids that play outside and explore like mine do. I want to be outside not in a condensed neighborhood, but also not with acreage to deal with.

Here in California we live around one big city but this area is very small town mainstream, this area is very consumer/the Joneses, this area is bad, this area is where all the earthy people are :)I need some help breaking Eugene into that kind of map.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Yeah I gave up on finding groups I fit into a long time ago. I just choose friends that care about me enough to be open about how I live my life. I have very few friends, but the few I do have i'm close to. I do sometimes long for that big community group vibe, but I just don't feel it's all that realistic for me right now.

I don't know much of anything about oregon, so I can't really tell you where would be great to live. I live in washington at the northern edge of the suburbs. There's a lot of countryside quite nearby me. A lot is only 10-20 mins away. I like the area I live in. I may not have any good crunchy mom groups to join near me, but I do feel like I can just escape into the countryside easily.

Good luck on your search! I hope you find the right area to move to!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eugene is nice but Salem is better

I think you would like living in Eugene. It's green and the people are very nice. I'm not sure its the best fit for you though. The culture politically is extremely left. There are a lot of hippie types in Eugene and it's one of the least religious cities in the northwest. I live in Salem Oregon personally. It's beautiful here. It's only an hour from the coast, the mountains and Portland. You might like Bend as well. It's very similar to California and most people there are from California. It's very outdoorsy. If you need help finding a good realtor or getting pre-qualified for a home loan, then I can help with that as well. I have a great program for people in the military. http://www.capitolmortgagecompany.com/

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I second the opinion that Eugene is very hipster. I think you'd fit well in the Hillsboro / forest grove area. Another good one would be Corvallis or Salem.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
You will want to check your demographics on the religious observance thing carefully. I've lived in the Portland area for 9 years. I moved here specifically to get away from some of the fundamentalist stuff my family ran into in the south so very often. The Portland area is famously agnostic. It is rare to meet the very religious here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking for others in Eugene

Britmcg - Did you decide to move to Eugene? Our family is moving there this summer so I just thought I'd see what you decided....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts