Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about starting to clean houses, in order to support myself and my daughter. I was thinking that I'd like to advertise that I use organic and/or child- & pet- safe cleaning products. The thing is.... I don't even use these types of products in my own home (because I don't know what to use!). What can you recommend [that really works well, in your experience]?

Would Melaleuca products fit the bill here?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would highly recommend using the products in your home first. Natural cleaning products can be good marketing angle but, can turn off some customers. I have had a house cleaning for business for 1 yr. with 6 clients. I have my clients supply their own products and I encourage them to buy some natural cleaners that I like to use. Also, if you decide to supply products I defiantly encourage you to use natural products whenever you can for health reasons, working with chemicals all day can be really bad for you.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I do intend to use them in my own home too. I just don't know where to start, and I'd rather not invest in trying a ton of random cleaning products that don't really work. I'd love some recommendations.

And thanks, I check out that forum

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I'm a big, Dr. Bronner soap fan...use it for almost everything. I also use vinegar, baking soda, and steam heat *my most recent obsession
*. That's pretty much all I have for cleaning...oh I do keep some oxyclean and borax on hand for harder jobs, but don't use them so much.

I used to use Melea products, and I wasn't as impressed as they were.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseccup
I'm a big, Dr. Bronner soap fan...use it for almost everything. I also use vinegar, baking soda
These are my favorite product too. I am a little hesitant on using steam since my wood floors are not sealed.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have had a cleaning company for a few years now and have found that the best non-toxic is the green concentrate cleaner from Home Depot. I buy in the gallon. It is a degreaser and really seems to work well. Also, Bio-Kleen has a concentrate all purpose degreaser, and both you use about 1oz per spray bottle then fill the rest with water. You can find it at any heath food store and if you like it look on line for a wholesale price. Windows can be done with vineger and water. I fill my empty gallon bottles with the vineger and water for windows so I have it stocked for spray bottles. I have found that when mentioning natural cleaners, the best way is to say that you offer it as an alternative at no charge. Alot of people are turned off to natural cleaners, and I never mention that I use non-toxic products. Also, Bon-Ami is great for a gritty dry cleaner like Comet. The thing you really have to look for is if it degreases and sanitizes. Alot of natural cleaners don't, and it shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.