Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this question, so please move if needed.

I know that you can not get organic foods through WIC (woman, infants and children government food program) but I was wondering if anyone found a way to? I am due with my first child in August and am learing a lot about all the 'junk' in food. I want to switch to organic but it is so expensive and we are financially challenged. I know in summer we will get farmer market checks for fruits and veggies but I'm looking for more of a solution to milk, eggs and cheese.

Does anyone know of brands that are maybe not called organic but are healthier for you (with your wic checks)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet_Redhead View Post
Not sure where to post this question, so please move if needed.

I know that you can not get organic foods through WIC (woman, infants and children government food program) but I was wondering if anyone found a way to? I am due with my first child in August and am learing a lot about all the 'junk' in food. I want to switch to organic but it is so expensive and we are financially challenged. I know in summer we will get farmer market checks for fruits and veggies but I'm looking for more of a solution to milk, eggs and cheese.

Does anyone know of brands that are maybe not called organic but are healthier for you (with your wic checks)?

Thanks!
In Washington you can get organic milk. Are you sure that you can't get it in WI? You can also get some 'natural' foods, like Adams peanut butter, not organic, but not full of too much nasty junk either. Check out the local market and see which cheeses are marked 'WIC" and then research them. In WA you get Tillimuck cheese which is not organic, but it is from pastured cows.

The egg options are all pretty nasty though, cheapest possible, which means some chickens are suffering a lot.

Other than that, it's dry beans (good) and canned or frozen juice (lots of calories and not many vitamins) and lots and lots of breakfast cereal.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In TN, we're stuck with the standard store brand cheese, and store brand eggs.

On the milk plus-side, they tried to force everyone to go to store brand milk. There is a local dairy that uses cows that have not been injected with hormones, and I usually buy their milk instead. Apparently someone somewhere threw a fit, because instead of forcing us to store brand milk, that's when they forced us to store brand cheese.

We are allowed the option of switching out to goat milk as well, but it's evaporated and in a can.

Instead of breakfast cereal, you are allowed oatmeal (though not organic, and not steel cut oats).

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
when we had WIC for a while when my son was young, we had the same issues. my son is allergic to milk period so they wouldn't give us anything dairy or dairy replacement (like soy or almond milk) so that was a huge bummer. We used to buy whole grain oats (not organic but as natural as i could find) natural peanut better and beans. sometimes they would give me vouches for veggies too.

so it wasn't a huge help in our case, but it was something. of course now I found out my daughter and I are celiac, so it really would be no help. milk and wheat are the bulk of what they help with.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
we were on wic for a while- we would qualify now but I don't see the point because all the give us would be crap. The only thing I would eat that they give me is the dry beans- and it's not enough to warrant me going down every month for a few hours.

It's really sad how crappy the stuff is they give you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know Dean Foods has no rBGH in their Select Milk, which is for sure covered by WIC. It specifically states you can get rBGH free milk in the guidelines I read. For cheese, there is rBGH free cheese through Cedar Grove (local cheesery that pledges no rBGH, but is not organic -which means it slips under the WIC radar). We do organic for a lot of things, but I can only afford rBGH free for cheese.

You may end up going one place for your WIC foods (a pricier market that carries the rBGH free stuff) and another for your regular shopping (cheaper market). Good luck negotiating it all - a lot of my friends are on WIC and end up with a LOT of juice that they store and take to potlucks, etc, but the milk, cheese, cereal, and beans are a lot of help.

Take care!

I found specific guidelines at this source WIC Approved Foods. I didn't know if you had seen this resource.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There are changes coming to the WI wic program that will allow for more produce/whole wheat options. And the amount of juice will be reduced. I was todl that our county (NE wi) can expect to see those changes in October. Some will see them as early as May.
But no, I haven't found a way to do "organic", but I honestly don't put a lot of faith in the organic label anyway...so for me, that hasn't been a huge problem.

·
Registered
398 Posts
scarlet redhead, I checked the pdf posted above and I do see some healthy options.

- Farina mills Farina
- Quaker oatmeal regular (look for wholegrain)
- Quaker grits (look for wholegrain)
- 100% juice - look for no sugar (preferably not from concentrate)
- Any dried beans and lentils that you use. Do try new types of beans as well
- peanut butter - natural - reduced salt - no sugar options as well
- cheese (find what brands of cheese they have and call the companies to see if they are rBH free)
- Canned beans
- Milk - Looks like they do have all those hormone free options

Good luck! Hope you find lot more healthy options in your store using your WIC.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
It's different wherever you live. Here in NY the only things we can get organic are fruits/veggies (WIC started doing $8/month fresh fruits and veggies).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.

On our last shopping trip we did find Dean Foods Milk with no rGBH that we could get.
: We tried to get Egglands Best Eggs but no go. I will have to see if our store carries Cedar Grove chesse. I think they do. (Thanks Pandora665)

I know our WIC changes will be coming in August. I was told by the WIC lady that it is the first overhaul of the program in 30 years!!! It is about time!!

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
On a related note... is it possible to convince them to give you ONLY cheese and no milk?? I have a herd share for raw milk, which I LOVE but am considering going back on WIC for the cheese, juice, veggies, etc... but we eat an incredible amount of cheese (6+ pounds a month). And while I do have a local source for cheap cheese... free would always be nice, ya know?? Oh and does anyone know when the WIC changes will be coming to Ohio??

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
In Virginia, they don't allow natural peanut butter or produce. The only oatmeal they allow is instant. It's mind-boggling to me.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
On a related note... is it possible to convince them to give you ONLY cheese and no milk?? I have a herd share for raw milk, which I LOVE but am considering going back on WIC for the cheese, juice, veggies, etc... but we eat an incredible amount of cheese (6+ pounds a month). And while I do have a local source for cheap cheese... free would always be nice
yes...
depends on how you feel about lying though...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

On a related note... is it possible to convince them to give you ONLY cheese and no milk?? I have a herd share for raw milk, which I LOVE but am considering going back on WIC for the cheese, juice, veggies, etc... but we eat an incredible amount of cheese (6+ pounds a month). And while I do have a local source for cheap cheese... free would always be nice, ya know?? Oh and does anyone know when the WIC changes will be coming to Ohio??
Why not just tell them you have a source of free milk already and you don't want to take it out of someone else's mouth when you won't be able to use it? When I told them I couldn't use all the milk they were giving me, it was reduced.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I think thats what I'll do then
I called up and made an apointment (mid-may), so I have some time to decide what to tell them... I think I might just tell them that we have goats and so don't need the milk.... which is partly true
We *do* have goats afterall

·
Registered
247 Posts
In oregon, they give out farmers market vouchers in the summer and i was able to use them at a variety of organic farm stands. We only got $20 per person but it was still something i guess.

Also, if you qualify, food stamps are great because you can buy whatever you want and we were also able to use those at a lot of farmers market stands.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I told the WIC lady when I first started in Jan, that I don't really drink milk. (only with brownies, cookies or cake!) So there is no need for me to get 6 gallons a month!!!! She was able to switch one gallon for an extra pound of cheese. We too eat a lot of cheese. Hubby can easily drink 6 gallons of milk himself but I have to remind him this food is supposed to be for me and the growing baby!

When I went in for my weight check, I asked if I could switch out some of the cereal cuz I don't really eat cereal too much either. She said not now but when the changes come I could get more bread. She said for now I could just get it and donate what I won't eat to a food pantry.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
you can always just not buy everything on the vouchers. I often did that. I wouldn't buy something we did use or eat. i also asked for cheese instead of some milk b/c I don't like milk. (raw or not it gives me tummy troubles). and I am ok with *some* pasteurized cheese.

(of course this was 4 yrs ago... but I assume it would still be the same)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlet_Redhead View Post

When I went in for my weight check, I asked if I could switch out some of the cereal cuz I don't really eat cereal too much either. She said not now but when the changes come I could get more bread. She said for now I could just get it and donate what I won't eat to a food pantry.
I ended up taking huge amounts of cereal and tons of cans of juice to the foodbank. We just don't eat it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.