Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my practice teaching in the fall, 15 weeks, at a nice looking school in NS Canada, I will be teaching a grade12 social studies class, called Law12 for sure. I am not a law student or have much knowledge on the subject so I must learn alot this summer.<br><br>
I was able to borrow a copy of the textbook from the library.<br>
I will be photocopying some important pages and will be taking notes, making a glossary of terms, etc.<br>
Any other ideas of what I should do?<br><br>
My next question is how to organize the information:<br>
-computer (files/folders)<br>
-note or index cards<br>
-scribblers (handwritten)<br>
-binders (handwritten)<br>
- or any other ideas?<br><br>
I am feeling really lost and kinda overwhelmed, so I would appreciate any useful advice or help.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Will you have a master teacher to assist you? We normally have that set up in the states (student teacher & regular teacher) in the same classroom.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I will have a cooperating teacher.<br><br>
This is more for me to understand the material prior to trying to teach it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would get something that holds hanging files and label the files by unit or chapter. As you gather information I would store it unit's folder that it would be taught with. As you get ready to teach you can pull out that folder and have all your resources ready to go.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could also do some internet research as you skim through each chapter for lesson/activity ideas. As you find them, you can print them out and store the originals in a plastic sleeve or a hanging folder.<br><br>
Maybe look on amazon textbooks and see if you can find a copy you can write and highlight? I'd also utilize sticky notes to flag important chapters. If you have access to the teacher's edition, you can prep more of the info easier.

·
Registered
770 Posts
i found that binders worked really well for me. i also got page protecters so that i didn't have to three hole punch anything, just slip it into the page protecter. my lessons and any master copies that i needed were all together in the binder so that i didn't have to go to a filing cabinet to retrieve anything. i also color coded anything i could. each class had their own color folder for the filing cabinet for example. it made organizing much easier. my students organized as much as they could. for example, i used tables instead of rows in my classroom. everyone had a job at the table. one person would make sure anyone absent from their table got the work they needed placed in a color coded box on the shelves. when the student returned, he/she would just need to go to the box to find what was missed and any worksheets they needed. another person had the job of making sure everyone from their table put things away and left the table neat. there was also a gopher and an overall leader to make sure things ran smoothly. their jobs would rotate. they appreciated the responsibility and for the most part, never let me down. 12th graders are great for this usually. another thing that really helped me with organization was to spend time teaching the kids how the classroom worked and where everything was. they knew the drill and there was never any confusion about where to put their homework or when it's ok to get up to staple papers or whatever. gosh.. it's been a few years so i don't remember everything. fred jones tools for teaching really helped me a lot. there are conferences but i think you can buy the book without having to attend a conference. oh.. and i learned to only touch a piece of paper once. so, when i was grading.. grade the paper, put the grade in the grading book/computer, put the paper away.... good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts