Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see there are plenty of Orlando area folks around here and thought I might pick your brains a bit...

- To update, Ive done some research and think a midwife is the choice fo me.
We are TTC and I need to go for my "yearly" female checkup anyhow... I'm looking for recommendations on midwives that practice in the Oviedo or Orlando area...
Also, I would like to know any info on hospitals and maybe birthing centers in the area. Any specific "OH MAH GOH don't go theres"?

I have heard a few fabulous things about Arnold Palmer hospital birth center - was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with them?

thanks ya'll!!! Looking forward to hearing from ya!

· Registered
782 Posts
I had a HORRIBLE experience with Arnold Palmer. After 24 hours of being stuck at 6cm I had to transfer from my attempted homebirth to Arnold Palmer and it was a terrible experience. They forced us to stay 3 days after threatening us with CPS if we left AMA, they kept coming in every few hours & taking my baby for up to two hours at a time, they were trying to push a c-sec on me the second I was admitted (luckily I went from 6 to complete while they were deciding it was c-sec time)...overall it was one of the worst experiences of my life. My midwife was not the greatest either - she did excellent in pregnancy care, but not so hot supporting me in labor and I feel she contributed greatly to my having to transfer. I'm not comfortable posting her name, but you can PM me for it if need be - I would not recommend her.

Good luck!

· Registered
133 Posts
My son was born at the birthing cottage in winter park,they do all your prenatal there and it's a small staff so by the time you have your baby everyone feels like part of the family. It's sort of ironic how many neighbors have told me I was "crazy" to have natural childbirth and yet they all have horror stories about their hospital births in this area. Somehow there is this bizarre idea that if hospital birth is bad then midwife assisted birth will be even worse when quite the opposite is true in most cases.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had my son at the Birthing Cottage and I feel the same way about "being part of the family". It's a great place with a really low hospital transfer rate. Unfortunately Jennie Joseph isn't there anymore, she's opened her own practice in Ocoee. It's almost worth the drive to have her deliver your baby!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenHippieMama
My son was born at the birthing cottage in winter park,they do all your prenatal there and it's a small staff so by the time you have your baby everyone feels like part of the family. It's sort of ironic how many neighbors have told me I was "crazy" to have natural childbirth and yet they all have horror stories about their hospital births in this area. Somehow there is this bizarre idea that if hospital birth is bad then midwife assisted birth will be even worse when quite the opposite is true in most cases.

· Registered
1,242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnohobbit
Kelli Johnson- A Mother's Nature HomeBirths

She is amazing! Words can not explain this woman, she is incredible.

YES YES YES!!! She is unreal! She is so much MORE than a midwife! She is truly an inspiration!

· Registered
3 Posts
I have had two great experinces with the midwives at Special Beginnings Birth Cetner. They also handle yearly exams and treat you wonderfully. I have to agree that few women leave a hospital birth and feel empowered. You will never regret choosing a midwife.

· Registered
364 Posts
I am not a huge fan of Arnold Palmer either. I must admit my main problem was when he was readmitted to hospital at 3 days old and how he was treated then, but I was not totally happy with his birth either. I certainly could not recommend going that route over finding a midwife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.