Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor DH. Please send good thoughts his way. He isn't hurt- that we know of yet, just sore and shaken up. He's had his "new" car for a year and a half now and this is the 3rd, yes 3rd!, time he's been rear-ended in it!

Since the 2nd time, he's had PTSD and freaks out when someone comes up behind him or anytime he is stopped for a stoplight/sign. ((SIGH)) I'm sure it will be worse now. We're talking getting him therapy this time. I drove us to DD's school tonight and he was clenching up every time *I* had to stop. I'm really worried about him
:

Having these accidents is such an inconvenience too. Don't get me wrong- I'm SOOOO VERY thankful it wasn't worse, but just the fact that you have to rearrange your schedule for car repair appraisals, car repairs, the time spent calling the insurances, filling out paperwork, dealing with police, etc etc... so stressful and it drags out for months. Then you have to get the rental while yours is repaired, etc etc etc.

It's just stress we didn't need right now and I'm feeling very gloomy about it.
He's scared he might actually be hurt this time too- he was very sore tonight in his back, tailbone, elbow and knee. I'm hoping it was just muscle aches and tension.

So, please, send good thoughts his way if you will. He could really use some positive energy right now.

Thanks for listening,
Manda

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Your poor DH! Can't blame him for being stressed about driving in general with that number of people running into him lately. Hopefully he'll by OK physically, but he might want to get things checked out if he's still feeling sore in a few days.

I went to a chiropractor for 4 months after I was rear-ended and haven't had any further issues with my neck/spine since then (well, except the hips related to pregnancy issue but that's another matter) - it was well worth going to the chiro even though I didn't feel that bad after the accident.

And all the paperwork and police etc is a hassle - my sympathies.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
many many prayers.. pls pls pls take PP's advice and get 3-4 mos of GOOD chiro care.. I can not count the pts I have that come to me 5- 10 yrs post accidents like you describe in which they insist the "did not get hurt" and theya re a MESS.... fix it NOW.. auto ins will cover.. it makes a HUGE difference and if the chiro does any cranial or energy work it will alos help with the PTSD.. Many hugs

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick question for the Lauras or others medically in the know:

He's feeling bruised and sore still, which we expected, but he's also having to run to the bathroom quite often for tummy upset that may or may not be stress related. Do you think such a light bump up would have injured something intestinally???

Thanks,
Manda

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Manda,

I soo glad your dh was not more seriously injured...although it does sound like he could use some good chiro care. I know what you mean about the monumental inconvenience of small car accidents, though. You walk around feeling guilty for being so irritated...because at least it's JUST an inconvenience, right? But, it still stinks.

It took me awhile, emotionally, to get over my last real car accident. Interestingly, it was more difficult for me to be a passenger than the driver... I drove my dh nuts with my gasping and white knuckling, etc.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
poor guy

I got rear-ended several times in my dh's older BMW a few years ago. We think it's b/c that car had such a short stopping distance that other cars that followed too closely couldn't stop as short as I could and would *bam* hit me. Maybe that's the case with his car?

will be thinking of you all

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hope he is okay. We were rearended by a semitruck on the freeway over a year ago and still dealing with the insurance and I am still always looking in the rearview just sure the person behind me isn't going to stop. I thought I was fine at first, but a couple days later the pain was so bad I was in tears. I hope he has a good chiro to take care of him and he really should go right away. Therapy sounds like a good idea... panic attacks behind the wheel are no bueno for him and everyone else on the road.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
the intestinal symptoms could be stress/ emotional related or a response to teh whiplash which can act as a head injury from teh cranilal component (esp since it is his 3rd) .. did he hit his head on anything (including the abck on the headrest) even w/o actually striking his head it can act same... I still strongly urge him to get some good chiro/ cranial work done.. there are DO's and a very few PT's that do cranial / manipulative work if he is just totally weirded out by chiros (but you really have to look hard to find ones that specialize in manippulation and cranial work)
regardless of the practitioner type he chooses.. CHOOSE CAREFULLY with good personal referrals..... it's important..

poor baby

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Manda - car accidents are quite an inconvenience. We've never really been hurt seriously in any of them, but I really should have taken the ambulance the last time I was in an accident. Our PI lawyer said that if you take the ambulance that's a guarantee insurance settlement...not sure if that's true all over or just here. But it seems like whenever we get a new car, we get in an accident too. One was head on, one was a rear end, and the most recent was during my last pg about a month before I was due....another rear end. The ONLY reason I didn't take the ambulance was because DH didn't have his cell phone with him and I had no way to tell him what was going on, so I just called his work and told him where the accident was and had him meet me there and we went to the hospital from there.

Anyway - I hope your DH feels better soon and I can only imagine what he must feel like driving. I was nervous after being in the head on collision for a while. My oldest dd was 3 at the time and whenever we went fast or went over bumps in the road, it bothered her.

Then the whole rental thing was just ridiculous....we had a full size truck with an extended cab and they'd rent us some small compact car - that didn't even fit our whole family in it!!! Then to get a bigger car, we had to pay the difference which was costing us over $100/week.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's definitely going to a doctor of some sort! He's running a fever tonight and is feeling generally worse. His pain is radiating all over his body- sometimes his ankle is worse, sometimes his wrist is worse, etc. I do think since he has fever that he has inflammation going on somewhere.

I also had him put into a simple word document all of the wreck details, including what symptoms he now has (pain description, when fever began, etc), memories of exactly what happened, details he gave the insurance companies, etc. so that he doesn't forget.

I don't think he has a problem going to a chiro, and I have a few good references from my doula list, but will investigate them further too, as he asked me to. I think he's more worried at this point about the TIME involved than anything else. He's a HS teacher and we're already in a crunch trying to fit in MW appts, etc around his busy sched. and hour commute each way.

He drives one of those little green Scion XB's, so we don't know if it's just the bright color/weird style that is distracting people and they don't pay attention and stop short enough, or if it's just been weirdly bad luck.
I'm just really thankful none of the accidents have been worse!

Oh, and he doesn't remember hitting his head, but says it's definitely possible. They hit him pretty hard from what he says, so I imagine that even if he didn't hit it on the seat, then it at least jarred him enough to have caused some neck trauma, so we'll definitely look into the whiplash aspect as well. Thank you so much for all of your input!

Manda

PS- oh, I forgot... it's actually not the 3rd time- it's the 4th time! 3 in this car, and once in a rental car just 2 days after his car went into the shop. So weird!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree with finding a chiro. I've been rear ended a few times over the years too, it's been a life saver.

Hope he's feeling better soon. It's silly, but I think I'd get different car, I'd feel jinxed in that one

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone heard of this? This is what one of the moms in my local AP group said she would do (she is a chiro):

....Chiropractic Biophysics where we encourage traction and exercises to restore the curves in his spine to as normal as possible. Then we take post x-rays to demonstrate that in addition to feeling better your see your effort actually made a difference in the structure of your spine, and unless you get in another accident it is typically maintained.

I'm not sure what exactly we are looking for and if this would be MOST helpful. I know that chiro is an investment of time, so we want to make sure we choose the "right" method the first time, if at all possible.

He is feeling really cruddy today and said his fever is higher and he's hurting really bad in his back. To top it all off, he had to help a kid who was projectile vomiting in the hallway earlier, so I'll bet he brings home a nasty virus to top it all off. Yuck.
:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
RE: biophysics... the most important thing is finding a GOOD chiropractor not the specific technique, per se, I tend to favor cranial work (like Upledger) for things such as you describe but it all works, just find someone really great at the technique they use and go for it.I hope your DH feels better soon... I would also like to see an MRI of brain and cervicals given his other symptoms and screen WELL for any carotid artery issues.. (esp B4 cervical manipulation or weighted traction).. IMHO... sell the car.. sorry it just must have bad luck or something...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.