Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Whats everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Are you cooking? And is anyone going to brave Black Friday?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm cooking (I do every year)...the only worry there is where to come up with the money for the food.  And I am going to try to do Black Friday because we are broke and I need to save as much $$$ as possible in order to get my son a Christmas! The little one is taken care of as I went through my older sons toys and I found a bunch of stuff to give him (I saved everything, I even have new unopened things that are right at his age range!).   Oh and I have to work on that Friday too.  I'm going to be exhausted...Am I crazy? (um, probably!)</p>

·
Registered
764 Posts
<p>I'm cooking, but not on Thur on Saturday instead.  I'm probably going to be basic and just have roasted turkey, mashed potates, squash, dressing, cranberries, a pie, and a birthday cake.  Thanksgiving falls really close to ds's birthday, so we have a birthday/thanksgiving celebration every year.  It works out really well, before he was born we had the "which parents get Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any other holiday they can think of to fight over"  one set of parents or the other would always get feelings hurt if we weren't at their house. It really made me dread the holidays. Now we just invite everyone to our house and we all celebrate together.  For Christmas, we celebrate with my parents and in-laws seperately but no one gets the actual Christmas Day.  That one has been harder to get through, as his parents really, really want Christmas Day and keep trying to come over anyway.  As far as Black Friday, I don't think I can handle the crowds! </p>

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
<p>I am having a small Thanksgiving here - probably about 10 relatives.  I am cooking everything, which really isn't much... just the bird, some cranberries, stuffing, potatoes and salad.  Oh, and a pumpkin pie, of course!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We celebrat Hanukkah and since that starts on December 1st this year, I am pleased to announce that ALL my holiday shopping is complete!  We usually go to Menards on Black Friday to get some household things that we know go on sale then. </p>

·
Registered
906 Posts
<p>I'm not sure what we're doing just yet for Thanksgiving day. I'm pretty sensitive to smells right now. My family has known pretty much from day one that I'm preggers, but his family won't know for quite some time. They've always acted upset whenever we've announced we're expecting and I can only imagine how it will be with this one since it's our fourth and was a surprise. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are going Black Friday shopping. DH and I really enjoy doing it together. Last year it was a little crazy since DD3 was only a few weeks old, but it was enjoyable. We look forward to doing it again this year.</p>

·
Registered
146 Posts
<p>We're doing Thanksgiving here this year. Which was a great idea, until I found out I was pregnant and started hating the smell of food. It's getting a little better now, and I should be able to get through ok.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was going to do a lot more fun dishes, but I've got to keep it simple with the exhaustion and nausea right now!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're doing brined/roasted turkey - we'll be picking it up fresh Wednesday from a local farm, it cost an arm and a leg (about 60 bucks!) but it's a once every couple of years splurge - and it's worth it!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Green Bean Casserole, which I've actually never made or had and that's why I want to! We still have green beans in the freezer from our garden, so not much cost there</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Plain corn, I wanted to do scalloped corn, but I think with the green bean casserole it'd be over kill. Corn in the freezer from summer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maple Spiced Butternut Squash</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mashed Potatoes (MIL bringing)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Roasted Brussels Sprouts with bacon and Parmesan (maybe. I bought the sprouts at the market, but the idea of them has been turning my stomach for a couple weeks now - we'll see)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Wild Rice</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Something else that I'm forgetting :/</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sausage Stuffing (my mom bringing)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Apple Cranberry pie (my mom)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Chocolate Pie (MIL)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Pumpkin Pie (still have pumpkins from Oct to use up!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Local apple wine and hard cider for the adults and non-expecting</p>
<p> </p>
<p>local mulled cider for the kiddos</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm trying to figure out something festive and fun for me and my sister (who's also pregnant) to drink.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We've done black friday a handful of times. It never turns out to be worth it. I'll wait and see the ads, but I'm guessing there won't be anything worth heading out for. Maybe the craft stores since we're making a lot of our gifts.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts